Is No Aux Sound \ Video Output Repairable ?

General Discussion

Is No Aux Sound \ Video Output Repairable ?

Postby moonchalk » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:40 pm

If a TiVo has no sound output or no sound and video output from the Aux to the TV is the main board considered a write off or is it repairable and worth keeping ?

I had a big review of my four Tivo boxes at the weekend and two are in this state.

I'm kind of loath to throw them away at this point given ever increasing scarcity.

Is this a common point of failure for these trusty old friends after 20 years ?

Thx in advance for any input
moonchalk
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Is No Aux Sound \ Video Output Repairable ?

Postby Pegasus » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:55 pm

I can't vouch for no video output, but the no sound is a well known issue with our TiVos. Caused by an ageing power supply, rather than any issue with the main board!

If you are okay with hacking the software on the TiVo it can be fixed with a simple software mod (search this site for "no sound problem"). Otherwise a changed power supply may fix the problem.

Or you might be able to work around the problem with a 'warm restart' - i.e. restart from the TiVo menu rather than switching the power off/on. You might need to do it a couple of times in succession (this is basically what the software mod does).
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Postby moonchalk » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:01 pm

Will give it a go.

Thanks
moonchalk
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby chris.oates » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:48 pm

I think unlikely from what you are doing but from time to time I loose one or both channels of audio and very occasionally video, wiggling the scart plug restores it, so perhaps a bad connection around the scart plug or socket?

Chris
chris.oates
Almost there...
Almost there...

Return to General