adding channel logos

General Discussion

adding channel logos

Postby jonmon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm

hi
I was wondering how do get the TV channel logos when I am in the now showing menu next to the recording? I have TiVo web and in the logo section it says it is empty. is there simple way to adding them? I am using alt. epg from TiVo central.
Thanks for any help :D
jonmon
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: adding channel logos

Postby healeydave » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm

TC supplies a standard TiVo image with settings redirected to AltEPG, so you probably need to check with them as to what options they might provide to add logos.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby nick1austin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 pm

I was under the impression that adding channel logos makes the Now Playing menu slower. Am I right or wrong?
nick1austin
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby millsb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 am

Tivoweb 1.9.4 (as supplied with altepg1.0c) provides a facility to install logos on your tivo.
If you're using this version, then you first need to obtain some logos to install. You can generate your own of course, or you can find them on the web, for example see: http://www.hywel.org.uk/tivo/logos/
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby mrtickle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:57 am

nick1austin wrote:I was under the impression that adding channel logos makes the Now Playing menu slower. Am I right or wrong?

I think you're wrong, but that's my opinion. I can't see how it would be slower, any more than having recordings with long titles with more letters in might make Now Playing slower [because it's got more pixels to paint on the screen!]. TiVo isn't that slow :-) . Resources like fonts, icons etc are cached. What gave you that impression that there would be a speed hit, out of interest? If there was a problem they wouldn't waste power with a movie permanently playing behind the menus.

Pete77 kindly offered to step up and contribute to this project, by creating missing logos - see this post from Wed Jun 15, 2011. We've been waiting a little while though so far for the first one :wink: .
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby jonmon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks for the reply
I have looked at the site that you gave me millsb, and I have Tivoweb 1.9.4, but don’t get how to add logos. I have downloaded the images on the site you gave me. But not sure what to do next. Its mention that I should contact Tivo central but I was wondering if someone could tell me here how to do it?
Thanks for your help :D
jonmon
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby healeydave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Check out Mikes website (same place you got your drive from), his contact details are on there.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby healeydave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm

By the way, there is a nice set of up-to-date PNG logo's (linked below) but they are from another media system, so they are higher resolution and not directly compatible with the PNG format that TiVo requires.

I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to convert them to TiVo, I suspect a lot and probably not worth it :)

http://www.altepg.com/tools/logos.zip
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby mrtickle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

healeydave wrote:I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to convert them to TiVo, I suspect a lot and probably not worth it :)

http://www.altepg.com/tools/logos.zip

It's worth it (but very low priority*) to do the missing ones, as our lineups are pretty static we may even be able to get a full set eventually. We've never had a full set of logos since 2002, as the Sky lineup kept changing on an almost daily basis :cry:

* Lower than implementing TmsId and Original Air dates, and a way of importing schedule changes automatically, for example. At the end of the day nothing is more important than the slice data, otherwise we can't use our TiVos for their primary purpose, to record programmes. :-)
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby millsb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

jonmon wrote:Thanks for the reply
I have looked at the site that you gave me millsb, and I have Tivoweb 1.9.4, but don’t get how to add logos. I have downloaded the images on the site you gave me. But not sure what to do next.

In (my copy of) 1.9.4 I click on "logos" and then "import logo", click "Choose file" to select one of the downloaded images, then "import" to import it. You have to repeat these step for each logo, which is a bit tedious.
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby mrtickle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes, that's the start of the process. Remember each channel needs TWO logo files - a s1-p1 square version which is used on TiVo's status banner at the top of the screen (when watching a recording and you press right), and a s2-p2 long version which is displayed in Now Playing.

So after you've uploaded a pair of logos, the next step is to link that pair to a particular channel in your lineup. If the filename contains a match of the callsign exactly, tivoweb does it for you, when you select "Automatically Associate Logos". Eg in the case of Channel 5, you upload files which are already called CH5-s1-p1.png and CH5-s2-p2.png, and our callsign for that channel is CH5. Otherwise, you have to do this manually with the "Change" link next to each channel in the main table.

Next, when you're all done you need to clear the TiVo's resources like you would if you changed the recording bitrates. Go to another module in TiVoweb's top menu called "Resource Editor", and select "Update Resources". It should tell you to reboot, and after you've done so, your Now Playing should display the logos you uploaded.

I would do a few to satisfy yourself it's all working. Then, there is a loadlogos script to do a mass import of logos all in one go - see this thread for how to use it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ost1795023
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby jonmon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

thanks everyone for the reply :D :D :D
I will give it ago
jonmon
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby jonmon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm

hi again
whent to logos in TiVo web and it just says sorry, your logo dataset is empty. not sure what to do next? need more help
thanks again
jonmon
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Ah. Your tivo is missing the logos slice, normally re-running Guided Setup would get it but I'm not sure if our server sends it?

This post should help - viewtopic.php?p=7258#p7258 and then the linked thread and post by Mobius60. Unzip the zip and then ftp both the slice file and script to your tivo in binary mode, run, reboot etc and you should then be able to add logos with any luck!

[This being easier I'd try first: viewtopic.php?p=5924#p5924 ]
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby mrtickle » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Here are some more TiVo logos that I have created. These channels are included along with identical +1 copies where there are +1 channels.

4Seven
Challenge (new design)
Comedy Central (new design)
Comedy Central Extra (new design)
Fiver (5 star logo)
5USA (new design)
PBS UK
Pick TV
Seven
Sony Entertainment
Sony Movies (with alternative version - neither are brilliant)
TCM2
Universal Channel
New "shiny" logo designs for the non-premium Sky channels: Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Sky Living It, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 2.

As always, the resolution/palette is the real restriction, but I think they are reasonable.

Enjoy, and Merry Xmas all!
Attachments
mrt logos r1 20121222.zip
mrT logos, Dec 22nd 2012
(100.14 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Next

Return to General