TivoWeb Documentation

General Discussion

TivoWeb Documentation

Postby sprust » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I've just bought a cachecard and upgraded to the latest iso image. I'm keen to use the Web interface and am particularly interested in the Tracker function. Despite a lot of searching I can't find any documentation that explains how to use this function. Has anyone written any kind of guide? Any help would be much appreciated.
sprust
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: TivoWeb Documentation

Postby mrtickle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

There aren't really any guides, see the links in my sig to get to the main Tracker thread here which you can read through (as the last iso image probably won't have the most recent version of Tracker). There are also extensive archived threads going back years on the TiVocommunity forum about it. In a nutshell it extends TiVo's 28-day rule to forever by saving details of your (completely deleted and overwritten) recordings to a directory on the disc when you 'Create/Update Tracking List'; no need to do this bit more than once a week or so. Then when you 'Process To Do List' (probably each day after you get new guide data) Tracker reads these files and anything that has appeared in your ToDo list that you've watched before is presented in a list for you to remove from the ToDo list easily.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby mrtickle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Just a heads up, now that we are on GMT: TiVoWeb does not automatically switch from displaying BST times on its pages.

You need to do a full Quit and then start it again from the command line.

If in doubt and you don't have a recording in progress, rebooting your TiVo may be easier for some users.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Teepee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

I have recently allowed my Tivoweb to be accessible to the wide world using port forwarding. I have set the LAN_Auth to 0 in tivoweb.cfg (ver. 2.0.0) and it asked for the User name and password when I accessed it from a friend's computer. This was accepted and I can access the Tivoweb using her machine but there appears to be no way to log off again. Two days later, I can access my Tivoweb from her machine without being presented with the User name/password screen and even restarting Tivoweb does not affect this. I am temporarily changing my Tivoweb port but wonder whether anyone has any ideas as to how I can make the Tivoweb logout again. Cheers,

Terry.
Teepee
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Don't know much about v2. It's too much work to support 4 versions of tivoweb. We generally support 2.1b3 (see [url="http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1394"]this post[/url] , or 1.9.4+patched (1.9.4 fresh download won't work).

However have you tried quitting and reloading the browser?
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Teepee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks for your reply mrtickle. I have now updated the Tivoweb to ver. 2.1b3. I did try reloading the browser and quitting/restarting Tivoweb but it does not ask for login details. It rather looks as though there is no way to 'log off' from Tivoweb once it has been accessed via the internet. I will give it another try in a couple of days when I next have access to my friends computer. Cheers,

Terry.
Teepee
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pegasus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am

Hi. This is an issue with the browser. Browsers will remember HTTP authorizations until the browser is closed down.

As people generally hibernate or simply close the lid on the laptop (standby) then the browser can be open and logged-in for days or weeks!

In Firefox you can clear these by going to Clear Recent History and checking Clear Active Logins.

If you're using someone else's computer then it's always safest to use in-private browsing for any site which needs a log-in.
HTH
Pegasus
Really should get out more

Postby bri_tal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am

Correct. There is no logoff as such. In order to obtain a password prompt again, you would have to switch-off and restart the computer concerned. (At least, this is what I am finding)
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Teepee » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks folks, I will look for an equivalent to 'clear active logons' on my friend's Mac laptop. I have been shutting it down rather than hibernating but it may probably be automatically reloging in. Presumably, Tivoweb can only be connected to one external source at once. That is to say, once logged on to my friend's computer, Tivoweb cannot be accessed by anyone elsewhere on the web simply finding its address while it is 'open'.

Cheers,

Terry.
Teepee
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pegasus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 am

No need to worry Tivoweb isn't "open" as you describe. The authentication details you entered into your friends computer are actually passed as part of the browser request (the url is one element but there are many others 'behind the scenes' which you don't see). Requests from other computers won't include these authentication details and so they will get permission denied.
Pegasus

Postby Teepee » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks Pegasus, it is very useful having the Tivo available from anywhere. :)
Teepee
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Teepee wrote:Presumably, Tivoweb can only be connected to one external source at once.

Nope as Pegasus explained...

Pegasus wrote:No need to worry Tivoweb isn't "open" as you describe. The authentication details you entered into your friends computer are actually passed as part of the browser request (the url is one element but there are many others 'behind the scenes' which you don't see). Requests from other computers won't include these authentication details and so they will get permission denied.

Indeed. Strictly speaking, they don't get "permission denied" they get the exact same username/password prompt. If they know the details they can also connect as well. There is no restriction to only one 'session' in TiVoweb, other than the fact it can only serve 1 page at a time and it's the world's slowest webserver as 90% of the time it is rather busy being a TiVo, making a 24/7 recording (either Live Buffer or a ToDo item). :) So with two people connected the second page request 'hangs' while the first one is being processed. I've done it myself by accident requesting a big page (such as a Series with lots of upcoming episodes) and then going off, forgetting and going to the wrong session and trying to get the ToDo list. If you're not careful you'll bomb TiVoweb or reboot the TiVo if TiVoweb runs out of memory. This is something to bear in mind if it's making a recording :shock: at the time!

TiVoweb is fantastic. I've been using it for probably 10 years now and there's nothing to touch its functionality. The Sky 'remote record' stuff is only a fraction of what is possible, and a decade late.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General