Speeding up Tytools download

General Discussion

Speeding up Tytools download

Postby philg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am

Hi folks

I assume we are "allowed" to talk about this subject now?

Are there any tweaks to speed up a Tytools download from Tivo to Win 7?

Tivo is connected wirelessly but I get nowhere near the download speed as I am expecting - often around 500KBps, but often much lower :(

I see Tivo is connected at 11MBos - OK, I know I'll get nowhere near that, but 5% of the max is a bit disappointing

Thanks

Phil G
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Speeding up Tytools download

Postby philg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Hmm

Been reading viewtopic.php?f=8&t=989

It seems that the "problem" may be down to connecting wirelessly - anyone know why that should make such a difference?

Phil G

PS My configuration is a Netgear DG834G wireless to a Netgear WGE101 then wired to Tivo cachecard
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Speeding up Tytool download

Postby mrtickle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:46 pm

The short answer is this:
Tytool (not "Tytools" :) ) uses a special transfer mode of Ethernet to achieve the speed. This mode doesn't exist if you aren't using Ethernet.
The maximum possible speeds are around 2.5Mb/s with a cachecard, and 1.2Mb/s (from memory) with a Turbonet card which has a slower transfer rate anyway.
NB: these are unique to Tytool. If you transfer the same recording off with mfs_ftp, it'll be slower.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Raffles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 pm

philg wrote:It seems that the "problem" may be down to connecting wirelessly - anyone know why that should make such a difference?

Because wireless adds its own overhead and also more prone to dropped packets (which have to be resent) from interference and congestion. The headline speeds may appear adequate but the actual payload of data is somewhat less. Wired is always better if you can do it.

R.
UK Tivo x1 + Sony D800U x1
#1 Hacks: 1Tb (Samsung SATA), Cachecard, rear panel mods, AltEPG 1.0d, integrated D800U.
Raffles
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:35 pm

The download speed may well be being restricted by the capabilities of the wireless router you are using.

I used to use a Netgear DG834G but after my local exchange was upgrade to 24Mbps LLU I had to upgrade the router to a more recent and seven years newer Belkin 811n model as the Netgear could not cope with speeds faster than 8Mbps, even though in theory it should have done. The Belkin model I changed to has no trouble delivering 18Mbps ADSL sync speed.

In any event following the change of router I later discovered I could now download files from the Tivo at 2Mbps compared to previously when I would never get over 500k through the old Netgear router. So my suggestion would be to update your router as I didn't change anything else set up wise to get this increase in download speed.

However on a related topic I now find I can't play .ty files on my notebook PC with the latest versions of VLC Media Player as they all break up in to hopeless blocky pixellation. So far I have not found a fix for this and would be grateful to hear of any fix that you or others here can suggest.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General