Humax, freeview, Saorview etc

General Discussion

Humax, freeview, Saorview etc

Postby Alek » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Following some info I gained from DX30 I got myself a Humax Fox T2 HDR.

I got a graded one off the Humax site for £169, It was delivered on the day they said and within the 3 hr window stated.

It is , as new there is no way I could tell a difference from a "new" one.

Setting it up was a doddle and as stated in previous uTUBE vids it puts Saorview channels in the 800 region.

I am getting excellent reception on all freeview and Saorview channels. The epg on Saorview seems a bit iffy, sometimes there and sometimes not. Maybe it will settle down after "she" has had a chance to update "herself"

There doesn't appear to be a way to renumber the RTE channels to suit Tivo. But there is a custom firmware update which will allow me to do it.

Will probably wait a month to make sure there is no teething probs before I tamper.

The Humax portal is quite handy, was watching some utube vids on the 42inch screen last nigh. Was cool.
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Humax, freeview, Saorview etc

Postby mrtickle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Alek wrote:There doesn't appear to be a way to renumber the RTE channels to suit Tivo. But there is a custom firmware update which will allow me to do it.

Excellent!
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby DX30 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Alek wrote:There doesn't appear to be a way to renumber the RTE channels to suit Tivo. But there is a custom firmware update which will allow me to do it.

As an alternative you could try renumbering the channels on the TiVo to match those on the Humax. TivoWebPlus as installed on the altepg image comes with the ChannelMap.itcl module. This lets you change the number the channel is on - go to Channels, ChannelMap and click on TG4 and you get the option to remap from 51 to a different number.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Alek » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks again DX30, that is a much simpler solution.

I wasn't too happy about messing with the firmware and voiding the warranty, but I was going to do it.

But now there is no need.

The Humax is a good job but it isn't a patch on Tivo for useability, ff and rw are very clumsy compared.

Are there any plans to add UTV HD to the line up, if I had that I could ask for no more. :)
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby millsb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 am

I've added UTVHD to the Freeview lineup (channel 103). You should get it next time you do a daily call.
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Alek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am

millsb wrote:I've added UTVHD to the Freeview lineup (channel 103). You should get it next time you do a daily call.

Thanks millsb.

I am always in awe of the 12+ yo technology which out performs the latest PVRs and the dedication of you guys for keeping it available.

At the risk of pushing my luck too far, is there a BBC1 NI HD and BBC2 NI HD ?
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Alek wrote:is there a BBC1 NI HD and BBC2 NI HD ?

As I understand it the BBC plans are as follows -

Currently there is only one BBC1 HD but the BBC has plans to launch BBC1 HD for the nations i.e. As well as BBC1 HD there will be 3 other BBC1 HD versions for NI, Wales, and Scotland. When it happens I'd expect it will be easy to add NI, Wales, and Scotland to the TiVo listings as they will just be simulcasts of the SD versions. I'd expect England will continue to use the existing BBC1 HD feed as there are no plans for separate english regions in HD.

There are plans that BBC HD will become BBC2 HD, but there will only be one version (much like BBC1 HD is currently). I'd expect the listings for BBC HD will just morph into BBC2 HD. So no BBC2 NI HD for the moment.

Edit:
The BBC proposals from May this year

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/ass ... annels.pdf

The relevant bits are

Code: Select all
Launch of BBC Two England in HD in 2012.

•

This is planned to be a simulcast of BBC Two in high definition (HD). Because of
the capacity requirements of HD channels, the England national variant of BBC
Two will be broadcast. Viewers in the other UK nations would need to watch the
BBC Two standard definition service in order to view the opt-out programming
for their regions.

The channel will use the existing BBC HD broadcast capacity.

Launch of full BBC One HD channels for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to
replicate the existing standard definition channel in each Nation in 2012.

•

Currently, viewers of BBC One HD are presented with an information screen
advising them to switch to the standard definition version of BBC One during
opt-out blocks. Following these changes, viewers in Scotland, Wales and
Northern Ireland would receive a simulcast of BBC One SD in high definition,
including the relevant Nations opt outs.

Viewers of BBC One HD in England would continue to receive an information
screen during regional opt-out blocks, as at present.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby millsb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Alek wrote:At the risk of pushing my luck too far, is there a BBC1 NI HD and BBC2 NI HD ?

According to this: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_One_Northern_Ireland) BBC1 NI HD started on 24th October, so yes there is, though AltEPG is not currently maintaining listings for it.
Looks like this is the first regional HD channel - all the other regions still get the national BBC1 HD service, with blank screens when there's regional news etc.

However there's no BBC2 NI HD service as far as I am aware. The service on Freeview channel 102 is "BBC HD" which has schedules that are sometimes the same as (national) BBC2 but are frequently different.

Going back to BBC1 NI HD, as I've said above we don't have listings for it at the moment - our data feed doesn't cover it. It looks likely that it is the same as BBC1 NI (SD) - certainly that's true for today according to the BBC web site. If that's the case then we can derive listings from the SD listings easily enough, but it would be useful to get that confirmed by someone (ie you Alek!) who actually receives the service.
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Alek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 pm

millsb wrote: but it would be useful to get that confirmed by someone (ie you Alek!) who actually receives the service.

Chuffed that I can do something to help. :)

I checked the programming from today to next Wednesday and BBC1 NI and BBC1 NI HD are identical.
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm

DX30 wrote:Edit:
The BBC proposals from May this year

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/ass ... annels.pdf

The relevant bits are

Currently, viewers of BBC One HD are presented with an information screen
advising them to switch to the standard definition version of BBC One during
opt-out blocks. Following these changes, viewers in Scotland, Wales and
Northern Ireland would receive a simulcast of BBC One SD in high definition,
including the relevant Nations opt outs.

Good, we love simulcast channels, we can derive them from the parent channel with no extra guide data editing work required.

Viewers of BBC One HD in England would continue to receive an information
screen during regional opt-out blocks, as at present.

Bad, means we're still stuck with 15 different BBC1s to maintain :cry:
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Alek » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 pm

DX30 wrote:As an alternative you could try renumbering the channels on the TiVo to match those on the Humax. TivoWebPlus as installed on the altepg image comes with the ChannelMap.itcl module. This lets you change the number the channel is on - go to Channels, ChannelMap and click on TG4 and you get the option to remap from 51 to a different number.

I did this and everything worked well.

But something has gone amiss. Now when I try to change to TG4, rte1 or rte2 using the tivo remote, I can't. If a prog is set to record on one of these channels, it doesn't.

I have gone to channelmap, but I can't recall exactly what I did.

If I set, TG4, rte1 and rte2 to 51, 52 and 53 it doesn't work. If i set them to 803, 804 and 805, as they are on the Humax box, they disappear. Can some one refresh my memory, what it was I did before.

a
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Alek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm

It looks like my head has cleared, after the turkey and sprout intoxification.

I think it's ok again
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Alek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 pm

It happened again today.

I had RTE 1, RTE 2 and TG4 on 800, 801 and 803 and they just decided to move to 51, 52 and 53.

I have moved them back how can I make sure they stay there. :)
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 pm

ISTR when the channel lineup gets updated (as happened today) the channels revert to their "proper" numbers. I think you just have to remap them each time it happens.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Alek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

ahh, I see just have to live with it then. Missed Bonanza, again. :)
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Next

Return to General