Parts Available & Goodnight from him...

General Discussion

Parts Available & Goodnight from him...

Postby SolidTechie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 am

Hi folks.

Some of you won't know me, as I haven't been posting much for about a year, but I would like to think that overall, I have "put in" at least as much as I have "taken out" of the community, both here and on the other forum. After 10 years of great fun - and heartache - my TiVo days are sadly over. I hope I have found a good home for my 3 TiVos and they will be used for your benefit in a testing role - or at least prevented them from ending up in a skip! I'd Like to thank all the good people here for there continuing support for a product that continues to excel - and is arguably better now than it ever has been, and certainly more than it was at launch.

I'm not in a VM area, so I've gone to the dark side, with a combination of Media Centre, Feesat HD recorder and YouView box. Together, they still don't come anywhere close to TiVo ease of use, but I know have a virtually unlimited number of tuners, and HD quality recordings. I dream of a Freesat/Freeview version of TiVo in the future, I'm not holding my breath, but who knows.

I still have the following parts available for sale, and would like to offer them to members before slinging them on that well known auction site.

1 CacheCard with 512MB RAM
1TurboNZNet card
2 IDE to SATA cards (TiVo compatible)

Pm me with an offer if you are interested.

Over & Out
Regards,

Ian
SolidTechie
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Parts Available & Goodnight from him...

Postby Milesey007 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Ian,

Only just seen your post - is the cachecard still available?

Chris
Milesey007
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby socrates » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I made the move 6 months ago, and yes it is hard at first. Although I have got used to the new box, more than that - I am very pleased, it is true that nothing comes close to the TiVo's user interface. I went for the Humax HDR T2 ( on which the YouView box is based ) and technically there is no doubt it is more capable than the TiVo, as you would expect after over 10 years. But there has clearly been a major shift in the way the user is viewed.

The TiVo was very much a consumer entertainment orientated product whereas the HDR ( and I believe other similar boxes ) comes from a computer mindset. This shows in trivial ways such as referring to folders rather than programmes. But more importantly if you don't don't dig into the techy bits to set it up properly you will experience frustrating problems - I've had more programmes fail to record in 6 months than in 11 years with the TiVo. All due to the inability to handle multiple transmitters correctly.

I never felt the need to tinker with the TiVo but with the HDR I have had to instal custom firmware to get round some of these issues. As the HDR is network ready this was really simple, though not what you expect from a consumer box. Without it you will get forced OTA updates and retunes which will wipe your recording schedules, clear your favourite channel lists and reintroduce the multiple transmitter problem. I'm not sure how many of these issues affect the YouView box but there is a good forum which will help ( though I probably shouldn't link to it here ).

I do still miss the TiVo's clarity and simplicity but I do feel the gains outweigh the losses.
socrates
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mrtickle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

socrates wrote:and retunes which will wipe your recording schedules, clear your favourite channel lists

^^ That is the most unforgivable bug and I keep seeing it repeated over and over for all over PVRs, especially the Freeview ones. And all their users have been trained for years to accept it and take it lying down. The thought of losing all (100+, many of them hibernating) my SPs is horrific, hence the SP backup module for TiVoweb being invaluable.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby socrates » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes it's annoying but there are easily loaded add-ons which solve the problem. They just should not be ncessary.
socrates
Almost there...
Almost there...

Return to General