PPP Networking using a Raspberry Pi

General Discussion

PPP Networking using a Raspberry Pi

Postby dzs50 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 am

I was wondering if anyone has used a Raspberry Pi to provide the network interface for the tivo's serial ppp internet connection?
They are now more available on the second hand market.
I currently have to connect up my xp laptop every time I want to run the daily update.
dzs50
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: PPP Networking using a Raspberry Pi

Postby ByTheCringe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 pm

Blackberry, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and now Rasberry Pi... Is there something going on...
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby jrg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:38 pm

dzs50 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has used a Raspberry Pi to provide the network interface for the tivo's serial ppp internet connection.

but what would provide the serial interface for the Pi? You could use a USB serial device, but at that point you might start needing powered hubs (the Pi doesn't provide much in the way of current on its USB ports, because it only runs off USB voltage/current itself)

Probably just easier (and far less cables too) to get a Cache or Turbo card and upgrade your TiVo.
jrg
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby dzs50 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 am

jrg wrote:
but what would provide the serial interface for the Pi? You could use a USB serial device, but at that point you might start needing powered hubs (the Pi doesn't provide much in the way of current on its USB ports, because it only runs off USB voltage/current itself)

Thanks, that is a good point. I will check the power requirements of my adapter.

jrg wrote:Probably just easier (and far less cables too) to get a Cache or Turbo card and upgrade your TiVo.

If anyone knows of a spare network card for sale, then please send a me a PM.
dzs50
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby cerihp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am

jrg wrote:but what would provide the serial interface for the Pi?

It has one already. Not sure if you need anything more than the right cable - many of the posts on the RPi forums seem to mention breakout boards of varying descriptions - but there is a serial connection provided by the UART.
--
...........................................................Ceri.
cerihp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby jrg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

cerihp wrote:
jrg wrote:but what would provide the serial interface for the Pi?

It has one already. Not sure if you need anything more than the right cable - many of the posts on the RPi forums seem to mention breakout boards of varying descriptions - but there is a serial connection provided by the UART.

That hadn't occurred to me, but you do need some components. The UART available via the GPIO connection runs at 3.3V, so you need some circuitry to match to 5V RS232 signalling.

http://www.andremiller.net/content/raspberry-pi-and-arduino-via-gpio-uart
http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection
jrg
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby gcobb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

If the Pi won't work, you could consider a Pogoplug -- that is what I use. Takes more space and power, and less interesting, but it works.
gcobb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby dzs50 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Thank you all for your posts and links . They certainly give me food for thought.
dzs50
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General