Youview Data Provision?

General Discussion

Youview Data Provision?

Postby Sharkietour » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Dumb question warning: Are there any plans to include Youview in the datasets? It would be great to give the 'ol S1 catch-up tv functionality and I have noticed that the Tivo guide data we already have is already manually searchable in the past - not sure if this was always the case.

I imagine it may be impossible to make the S1 include "upcoming" programs that are in the past (!) but are there any other issues?
Rejecting VIRgin MedIa Ntl reality and substituting our own
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Youview Data Provision?

Postby mrtickle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Sharkietour wrote:Dumb question warning: Are there any plans to include Youview in the datasets?

Dumb answer warning :) : I believe Youview is a rival PVR, not a broadcaster?! http://www.youview.com/features/

It would be great to give the 'ol S1 catch-up tv functionality and I have noticed that the Tivo guide data we already have is already manually searchable in the past - not sure if this was always the case.

I imagine it may be impossible to make the S1 include "upcoming" programs that are in the past (!) but are there any other issu :) es?

TiVo normally clears out old guide data after every Daily Call, but you can sometimes go backwards a little bit. It doesn't mean anything though I'm afraid.

TiVo is great at finding programmes with Wishlists etc and then recording them easily. Catch-up seems to me to be largely aimed at people with rubbish PVRs that are not good at finding programmes. When Sky recently added the iPlayer to their 'on demand' service (in the case of iPlayer on a sky box, all it does it download and let you view later, a bit like a recording) their forums had posts saying stuff like "this is great, now I'll be able to see those BBC programmes I keep missing" without any hint of irony that the reason they keep missing them is they have the world's worst PVR! It was quite depressing.

Remember that we'll never be able to upgrade the software on our TiVos. The plethora of great hacks we have are just that, hacks that tinker around the edges of what's already there. Eg the "Sort Now Playing" hack doesn't change the way TiVo software sorts the now playing list (by date - we can not change that, it's in the TiVo software). The hack changes all the dates in all the recordings, so that the list will appear in a different order. You can see it's still sorted by date exactly as before (except you've now lost all the real dates).
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Sharkietour » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am

So, reading between the lines, it's not possible to control a Youview box with Tivo then :roll: ?
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Do you mean use it as a set-top-box (ie use it as a Freeview box) with TiVo as normal? That's a different question. That would be a question of adding the IR codes not having ever seen how it operates (things like auto-standby and staying-in-standby-after-a-powercut make some STBs worse than others with a TiVo.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Sharkietour » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah. Could the IR codes be added and use it with Guide data. The question of going into the past remains as I often only find out about programs after they have aired and have either missed an episode or the series has finished completely!
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby steveroe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Sharkietour wrote:The question of going into the past remains as I often only find out about programs after they have aired and have either missed an episode or the series has finished completely!

:?: TiVo won't do that, even when connected to a YouView box. The YouView box does this as natively functionality (plus acts as a PVR for future programmes)
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby ByTheCringe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:56 am

Sharkietour wrote:...I often only find out about programs after they have aired and have either missed an episode or the series has finished completely!

It sounds as if you are not making enough use of TiVo's wunnerful Wishlist function. I have entries for keywords like RAILWAY, MIRANDA, etc. and it is difficult to miss progs with even a hint of them included! Also, by putting thumbs up icons on programs you like, the TiVo Suggestions often come up with good progs. Wishlist is also great for finding repeats, often on odd channels in the small hours, of things you do miss. (Once they think enough people have bought the DVD, grrrr.)
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General