silver and black remotes .. button query

General Discussion

silver and black remotes .. button query

Postby bandsp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I have an original TiVo Silver remote and a black 'DirectTv' version .

I like the 'Display' button function on the Black one, to expand program info ..

But the 'VCR' button (in the same place on the silver one is useful to switch the TV from native Freeview to Tivo (Not having a VCR connected ..)

Are there button combinations on either so that both functions would be available on one remote?
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: silver and black remotes .. button query

Postby mrtickle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

bandsp wrote:I have an original TiVo Silver remote and a black 'DirectTv' version .

I like the 'Display' button function on the Black one, to expand program info ..

But the 'VCR' button (in the same place on the silver one is useful to switch the TV from native Freeview to Tivo (Not having a VCR connected ..)

Are there button combinations on either so that both functions would be available on one remote?

Assuming I've understood you - press RIGHT twice on the Silver remote, to toggle between "expanded programme info" and "channel banner only". It remembers which state you left it in (always expanded after a reboot).
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

mrtickle wrote:
Assuming I've understood you - press RIGHT twice on the Silver remote, to toggle between "expanded programme info" and "channel banner only". It remembers which state you left it in (always expanded after a reboot).

No, .. if you look eg at the 'to do list' and select a programme you get a certain amount of data on screen .. with the black remote, pressing display (same button as 'VCR' on the silver job) it expands the description and gives other data as well ..

can I do that with the original silver remote?
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Interesting. There are some different codes sent by those remotes, most are ignored, some are not. Of those that are not you need to be careful! Eg if you press Enter on the live TV guide, it sends the 'wrong' Enter IR code and the uk2.5.5 software drops down into the underlying USA code, and to get proper control back you have to reboot :shock: :)

I'd never heard of that display function working on a uk tivo before. I looked in the library for Sendkey which TiVoweb's "web remote" uses. There is a "nowShowing" key which does work on our TiVos, how about that. Eg you can go to (in tivoweb)
http://tivo/sendkey/nowShowing and it goes to Now Playing - we have no button to do that on the physical remote other than pressing tivo twice.

'display' is in the list. But going to http://tivo/sendkey/display from ToDo on my tivo does nothing at all. I guess there is no equivalent sequence that does the same thing, it's coming up to 11 years since v2.5.5 was new and I would hope we would have found out by now...

For info - the file I was looking at was /tvlib/tcl/tv/sendkey.tcl, and ps:
Code: Select all
set evrc(delimiter)     35
set evrc(guide)         36
# skip over Thomson remote keys
set evrc(displayAndLeft)  40
set evrc(displayAndRight) 41
set evrc(selectAndDown)   42

I bet that 37, 38, and 39 are our Aux bypass, VCR and Enter/Jump buttons. :)
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby mikerr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 pm

The Enter key on the silver remote does the same thing as Display:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ?p=5156430

Basically anywhere you see a short summary, you can press enter to expand it - shows much more info than just long descriptions.

Works on wishlist results, todo list, programme description screens etc
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 am

Oh, that! :) The Programme Details screen.

I misread
if you look eg at the 'to do list' and select a programme

thinking that the extra details would appear within the first ToDo list page and it was a secret feature I'd never heard of :)
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby DX30 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm

I have the Display key programmed on my One-For-All remote, so that is one way to get both keys on one remote.

mikerr wrote:The Enter key on the silver remote does the same thing as Display:

Sometimes it can, but not always. e.g. If I'm browsing programmes in the ToDo list and find something with a truncated description I often use Display to bring up Programme Details. Enter doesn't do this here, at least on my standard image - are there hacks available that do this?

Edit: I do see Enter behaving like Display in Now Playing.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mrtickle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 pm

DX30 wrote:I have the Display key programmed on my One-For-All remote, so that is one way to get both keys on one remote.

mikerr wrote:The Enter key on the silver remote does the same thing as Display:

Sometimes it can, but not always. e.g. If I'm browsing programmes in the ToDo list and find something with a truncated description I often use Display to bring up Programme Details.

Do you mean, from the ToDo list, pressing that key gives you the same Programme Details screen that we get if we were to press RIGHT and then Enter?

Enter doesn't do this here, at least on my standard image - are there hacks available that do this?

Never heard of any, although perhaps the 'sticky' hack could be modified to do it?

Pressing keys we don't have on our remote to jump to various screens are pretty much undocumented features in the uk2.5.5 s/w (except pressing Enter on the real UK remote to get the standard Programme Details screen, which was publicised by TiVo themselves). And can have downsides (as with Enter in the live TV guide).
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby DX30 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:21 pm

mrtickle wrote:Do you mean, from the ToDo list, pressing that key gives you the same Programme Details screen that we get if we were to press RIGHT and then Enter?

Not exactly, you can get there by Right then Display. However I think I was mistaken about the Right Enter behaviour in the ToDo list not being equivalent.

Having played further I realise the results for Enter changes when the TiVo sees a Display key, so that stops subsequent Right + Enter from working. If I reboot the TiVo then the Enter key starts working again. That explains my inconsistent results.

I'm pretty sure the Display key functionality is always available somehow, although it is not always equivalent to Enter. e.g. When watching "Live" Display does the same as Right and brings up Info, while Enter changes to the previous channel.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mrtickle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm

DX30 wrote:
mrtickle wrote:Do you mean, from the ToDo list, pressing that key gives you the same Programme Details screen that we get if we were to press RIGHT and then Enter?

Not exactly, you can get there by Right then Display. However I think I was mistaken about the Right Enter behaviour in the ToDo list not being equivalent.

Having played further I realise the results for Enter changes when the TiVo sees a Display key, so that stops subsequent Right + Enter from working. If I reboot the TiVo then the Enter key starts working again. That explains my inconsistent results.

Yep that's the bug where it drops into the USA codebase. I believe it stops Enter working everywhere including live TV guide.

Based on this I don't think there is any practical benefit from using that shortcut because of the big downside!

I'm pretty sure the Display key functionality is always available somehow, although it is not always equivalent to Enter. e.g. When watching "Live" Display does the same as Right and brings up Info, while Enter changes to the previous channel.

Are there any screens that you can get to from a USA remote that you can not get to using a UK remote, and if so please can someone post screenshots.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks for the interest and points raised .. (trying to understand the tech bits)

I have now passed the Silver one to a (Tivo novice ... yes, even at this stage in TiVo's life) friend .. seemed safer than passing over my black one.

Thanks again
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Sharkietour » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm

I have the black and silver light up remote and the same is achieved with the "Info" button.
Rejecting VIRgin MedIa Ntl reality and substituting our own
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General