re-imaging to AltEPG

General Discussion

re-imaging to AltEPG

Postby bandsp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am

This follows on from my Off Topic thread ..

Still trying to re-image a spare 40 gig original disk .. As much for the exercise as need ..

The altepg CD (Downloaded and burned here) still says the drive is too small .. (Symptom of being locked .. though last thread info says that altepg program should unlock it)

Googling about I came up with ref to MSFlive for unlocking .. I understand I could screw the disk trying to unlock, but not over concerned 'cos the disk is not usable anyway in its current state, and I do have another spare 40 gig .. so downloaded & burned it to try it out

Ran OK, but it said that disk wasn't locked .. Disk is a 'Quantum'

I have to say that running the Altepg imaging disk does flash up errors as it sorts itself out, but it reimaged my 130gig disk without a problem ..

where do I go from here, please?
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: re-imaging to AltEPG

Postby millsb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Is it really unlocked?
Is it really an original 40GB disk?
Have you selected a small enough swap size? (64MB not 127)

I forget what's already been said on this thread, but with the altepg CD you can tell what size the disk is reported as - and therefore whether altepg think's it's locked. "Locked" is 10MB (20,000 blocks), "Unlocked" is a little less than 80,000,000 blocks.

Also, if it's unlocked you should be able to put it in another PC/Server (Windows, Linux, whatever) and reformat it and see whether it's really 40GB.
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby DX30 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 pm

bandsp wrote:though last thread info says that altepg program should unlock it

I'm not sure about this. When I tried to install AltEPG 1.0d on a locked drive it didn't get unlocked automatically. Eventually I unlocked the drive using MFSLive diskutil.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Righto, thanks Millsb

putting 64Mb did it .. I had assumed that the 127 was normal unless you were working with a much larger drive ..

Now I can go and put it in the TiVo and play again ..

Thanks

B P
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General