Goodmans GDR11 support?

General Discussion

Goodmans GDR11 support?

Postby Aidan » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

I am unable to change the channel using TiVo remote on my STB and naturally when it wants to record a channel. There are only 2 options for me to choose the code under Goodmans but neither work. I don't need to use preceding zeros or press enter and i can see the channel ok on my TV using the STB withTivo and record the channel the STB is on.

Does anybody else have this STB or know how to get TiVo to communicate with it. Does the altEPG CD have more codes for newer set top boxes, including mine?
Aidan
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Goodmans GDR11 support?

Postby Georg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Aidan,
You could try here :-

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=465777

It helps if you are familiar with Linux (I am not).

The AltEPG doesn't have any more codes for Goodmans, at least mine doesn't.

Failing that, unless you really want the GDR11 you could get a Sony VTX-D800U off Ebay, they work with TiVo and are very reliable, unlike a lot of Freeview boxes.
Georg
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Aidan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Got myself one of those Sony set top boxes...everything is now working again...it's amazing how over a decade later UK TiVo Series 1 are still going and people still like them. Just shows how good they were (or how bad everybody else is) and we know a good thing when we see it. I think the only thing that let them down was the high price us Brits had to pay. It didn't suffer from any issues in the US. In 2000/1 £500 it came in at +£200 lifetime subscription. The price fell like a brick though and I bought mine for £300+£200 but once it dropped to £100 for the box I thought something was up, and yep..it then vanished...for good. No idea about Virgin Media since, like many, we can't get it here. It's a shame TiVo never made it on to the PC which is where I moved to. Windows Media Centre seems to be the best I've seen, although XP is better than Vista and 7 and 8 doesn't include it....optional extra now, like XP was. If the TiVo software ended up available for the PC (Windows, I know it's linux) which of course has the advantage of broadband I'd switch to it. They can't make any money though that way, sooooooo...I won't hold my breath.

P.S. The Goodmans has the advantage of working with an old TV that doesn't have a scart socket. Old stuff lasts...or it was built better or the parts were primitive and overly big so lasted. The sony requires a scart connection although going through TiVo and no doubt an old VCR you can still use a scartless TV. They don't seem to mention that issue when it comes to digi-boxes. Clearly people don't expect things to last 10 years anymore, especially not 15 or even 20.

Somebody release TiVo for PC and it will make it big...i think. Providing it looks and works the same. If it aint broke, don't fix it...something many companies ignore. eBay and Facebook being exceptions, although Facebook can't resist introducing timeline nobody liked. Can always go elsewhere I guess...if only...
Aidan
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby DX30 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Aidan wrote:It's a shame TiVo never made it on to the PC

It did, but it wasn't a success and is no longer available. Here is a review

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10053173-1.html
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Aidan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Hmmmmmm. Nero are well known. Marketing I guess and price point. Maybe Windows Media Centre and Sky finally jumping on board prevented it getting anywhere. We're spoiled with 'free' stuff these days. There are free media products out there, still today, but when it's free they can hardly spend money on advertising. The TV guides on digi-boxes though are dismal. TiVo never crashed. It's not easy designing things I know, but TiVo was the best and still is and it's a shame shoddy stuff lasts longer and is more widespread.
Aidan
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby bandsp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:20 pm

A bit late answering this ..

but you can teach your TiVo the codes for other boxes .. not VERY easy , but if I can do it, anyone can .. I bought a cheapo Freeview stb which had no tivo support at all but working from http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=514 I was able to add its codes to my TiVo and have TiVo control both my Sony Sky STB and the freeview STB.

Aidan wrote:I am unable to change the channel using TiVo remote on my STB and naturally when it wants to record a channel. There are only 2 options for me to choose the code under Goodmans but neither work. I don't need to use preceding zeros or press enter and i can see the channel ok on my TV using the STB withTivo and record the channel the STB is on.

Does anybody else have this STB or know how to get TiVo to communicate with it. Does the altEPG CD have more codes for newer set top boxes, including mine?
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General