The future of UK TiVo?

General Discussion

The future of UK TiVo?

Postby dmd » Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm

I've not been a regular visitor here, because my faithful TiVo with AltEPG just works. However I've been to check the stats today, and there seems to be a steady decline in users, now only around 900 of us.

I was hopeful that AltEPG would provide a new solution based on the OZ/NZ TiVo, but as the thread for that was last updated two years ago I guess that dream has now gone.

I have not a hope in hell of getting a Virgin TiVo because of where I live, so it looks like my days as a TiVo user are seriously numbered - but I don't want to let go. How low will the numbers need to drop before the nice people running AltEPG decide to call it a day? And what is a sensible replacement when that day finally rolls around?
dmd
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: The future of UK TiVo?

Postby chrispayne » Wed May 29, 2013 7:45 pm

I for one hope that tivo will go on for years to come as its still the best pvr around and is still beter than all other units I have tested

as for no yes they may fall a bit but some of us have lots of tivos
I have three but only use oneall the time and the other two when i need them

thanks to all that help to keep tivo up and running
chrispayne
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Georg » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

chrispayne wrote:I for one hope that tivo will go on for years to come as its still the best pvr around and is still beter than all other units I have tested

Me too, TiVo is still the best and I'm here till the bitter end.
Georg
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby dmd » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Georg wrote:
Me too, TiVo is still the best and I'm here till the bitter end.

I suspect I will be too. I really hope the the nice chaps at AltEPG are happy to keep it running, even when we get down to double figures.
dmd
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby ByTheCringe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 am

dmd wrote:How low will the numbers need to drop before the nice people running AltEPG decide to call it a day?

A question that it would be nice to get an answer to from the team. Put another way, are you happy providing the service? Is there anything anyone can do to make things easier?
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby healeydave » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Keeping the service side of things going is not so bad now, its the ongoing data correction and editing that can consume some man hours.
MrTickle has put out some requests for extra editors to help out in the guide forum in the past.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby ByTheCringe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Cheers Dave.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby philg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm

and remember the odd donation probably doesn't hurt either

I was paying £10 a month to Tivo, so chucking the ALT-EPG folks £50 every half year seems only fair

But I know it's not only the money that drives the fantastic support

You can tell how good a job they're doing by the fact that the service just happens
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby wonderboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 am

I haven't looked here for a while, as mentioned it just works, so I was wondering if the virgin media TiVo was hackable to allow it to work with freeview?

This has probably been discussed to death, but I missed it. I would really like an hd capable TiVo, and no VM near here.
wonderboy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mrtickle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Not really discussed to death, just a FAQ answered many times :). No, the VM tivo hardware does not contain a freeview tuner or a satellite tuner. It doesn't get as far as whether or not the software has been hacked ;)
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Sharkietour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Data usage rights and not tying the volunteers into any kind of quality / service agreements not withstanding, I too would be happy to pay the same or similar to what I was paying TiVo UK.

I make a donation every now and again as it is and if it helped to maintain the service I'd be happy to formalise it.
Rejecting VIRgin MedIa Ntl reality and substituting our own
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General