Daily call fail -what's happened

General Discussion

Daily call fail -what's happened

Postby anyoneinracks » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:15 am

My TIVO has been sitting there quite happy since I went ALTEPG (as soon as my "lifetime" subscription died), does not get a lot of use, but catches things that the more modern and less soffisticated recorders miss.
Then I find on 26 August it can no longer connect to the server (via the internet) to get it's EPG. I can quite happily telnet or chat using my tivoweb browser.
What has changed?
(Yes I have switched it off and on again. (Not on and off again 'cos things never work after that))
anyoneinracks
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Daily call fail -what's happened

Postby millsb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Nothing has changed at the server end. You can look the server logs for your tivo at www.altepg.com/am to see what calls got through to the server. It looks OK on 26/8 then nothing until 31/8 when a call gets through and logs the fact that 6 previous calls failed. You'll need to telnet onto your tivo and look at its log files (/var/log/tclient in particular) to find out what is going wrong.
millsb
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby anyoneinracks » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks, thought I had better check.
It looks like my Tivo has decided its address is 0.0.0.0. Which makes it a bit difficult to comunicate with it, even to give it a sensible IP address.
anyoneinracks
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby jrg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm

then you probably had some sort of network router/DHCP glitch at some point, and the TiVo couldn't renew its DHCP lease and/or get a new IP address.

Not sure if there's a way to get it to try again, through the Menus, or whether you'll just need to restart it at a convenient moment.
jrg
Almost there...
Almost there...

Return to General