Can't connect to server following router change

General Discussion

Can't connect to server following router change

Postby bri_tal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Have changed my router from Netgear (192.168.0.1) to Huawei (192.168.1.1) and am trying to get my tivo updated, without success.

I am using Airnet, which did connect Ok with the old router but not now.

I can telnet using serial lead, having changed the Nic from ,#6 to ,#2 using call scheduling rules, but the IP allocated by the system is 192.168.0.99 (as set previously, with the previous router and, although I can get into the tivo file system, I cannot get to tivoweb in the browser nor connect to the tivo server..

I tried using Nic_config_tivo, to change the ip to 192.168.1.101 and resetting to Airnet instead of serial PPP but that did not work.

Any suggestions ?
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Can't connect to server following router change

Postby DX30 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm

You mention changing the IP address but have you also changed the Gateway IP? And have you changed SSID and the WEP key the Airnet uses to match the new router?
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bri_tal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes, I have changed the gateway, ssid is the same but I must admit that I didn't know about the wep aspect. Looks as though I'll need to explore that part and report back. Thanks for your quick response.
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bri_tal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Having looked into the router stats, it appears that the wireless security is WPA/WPA2 and NOT wep. Does this mean I can't use Airnet with this router ?
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 am

I've never used an Airnet card so I could be wrong but from what I've read they only support WEP. That means you will have to change things at the router end to use WEP.

I don't know which model of Huawei router you have but this youtube video shows the procedure on a Huawei D100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzlQW9eq8U

I'd suggest the simplest thing would be to setup your Huawei router to use the same WEP encryption key as your Netgear router used. That way you won't need to change the WEP key on the TiVo.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bri_tal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:19 pm

I finally managed to find a way to change encryption to WEP (hidden deeply in the router settings) but still could not get to connect to the server. More worryingly, when switching back to serial ppp using ,#2,192*168*1*101,192*168*1*254,24 I could not connect to the server with that either. Upon reboot, the IP was shown as 192.168.0.99 (ie my original router setting) but using this IP I could telnet OK. There must be some corruption in a file somewhere, even though viewing the contents of nic_config_tivo, the correct IP of 192.168.1.101 and the correct gateway are both shown.
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Just to be clear you did both change the encryption type to WEP and also enter the 26 hex digits for the WEP key, as used on your old router? Any mistake in the key will stop you connecting.

Double check the SSID - it should be identical to that of the old router and case is important here.

Do you see any sign of the Airnet connecting when you look at the Huawei router information screens? Not having that type of router I cannot say where to look but most routers have a way of listing connected devices. If you know the MAC address of the Airnet card that may help identify it.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bri_tal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm

The new router has provision for entering 13 bit ASCii or 26 bit Hexadecimal. Wasn't sure how to create Hex, so went for the 13 digit ASCii. Does it definitely have to be 26 Hex and if so, how do I generate one (Don't want to use the one obtained from previous router) Notwithstanding that, I should have been able to connect to the server using serial but tivo is giving me the wrong IP
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bri_tal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Ignore the first part of my previous post. I have just generated a 26 bit HEX key and will try it out.
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bri_tal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Still no joy, using a pucker 26 digit Hex code and where router info matches the nic_config_tivo contents. I'm stymied |
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on the Airnet. You really need someone who has (or had) an Airnet card who can diagnose the problem.

The Serial PPP bit I think I can understand. The IP address used by the TiVo with PPP is determined by negotiation with the "other end", presumably a Windows PC. You can configure the Serial PPP IP Address and Gateway by changing them on the PC side. I think the PC incoming connection will still be set to use 192.168.0.99 and 192.168.0.1 for the old router. If you change the settings on the PC incoming connection to suit the new router Serial PPP should work and the TiVo will connect to the server.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bri_tal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Ah, yes - I forgot about the incoming connections aspect. Now, at least, I can bring the epg up to date, even if it means running a long cable between bedroom and lounge :) Thanks a lot for your help.
bri_tal
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General