Season Pass that doesnt record

General Discussion

Re: Season Pass that doesnt record

Postby The maverick » Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Its been deleted, will get back when the next one doesn't come in.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mrtickle » Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 pm

The maverick wrote:...with no entry showing in recording history.

The recording history only contains
* all the Duplicates that it didn't/won't record (the 28-day rule items)
* all the Conflicts that it couldn't/won't record
* all the items you've explicitly deleted from the ToDo list, and all the 28-day rule Duplicates of those.

For an actual recording [or as with your problem, one that TiVo thinks it's made], it won't appear in the recording history. So in that sense it's not a fully complete "history".

The Virgin TiVo calls the same thing "Recording Hiccups", which I don't like - the 28-day rule is a brilliant feature not a hiccup - but I can see why they don't use the term "recording history" as it implies a complete record.

mrtickle wrote:the STB not delivering a video signal perhaps

It does seem more like the STB being in standby as that's a more likely explanation than the relatively rare hardware glitch.

Instead of waiting for the next failure of something you wanted to watch, why not do a test?
Set up a recording of a 5-minute manual recording on BBC1.
Watch the Tivo change the channel on the STB and start the recording.
As soon as you can, use the Aux bypass button on the tivo remote to check the STB was correctly changed to BBC1 by TiVo.
Then, deliberately put the STB in standby using the STB's own remote, but let TiVo finish the recording for the full 5 minutes.
See how much of a recording your TiVo has, and let us know how closely the results of this recording match the problem black bar recordings you've had.
Last edited by mrtickle on Tue May 06, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby The maverick » Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 pm

On May 2nd it recorded as Landward but was actually snooker. The channel change took it to BBC2 Eng not BBC2S as in the season pass.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DX30 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Have you checked the power saving setting on your Sky box as suggested earlier? By default a Sky box will put itself into standby every night and unless you change this you will get the symptoms you see.

See http://www.kevblog.co.uk/sky-turn-off-auto-standby/

Sky boxes has been updated recently so the menu's will have changed a bit since those screen shots were taken but look around and you'll find the setting.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Wed May 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Haven't done this but I know I have done it in the past. Haven't got sky+ and struggling to find it in the menu. Would have though services - set up but not there.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Fri May 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Unable to find the auto standby mode in my Panasonic DV3 sky digibox I resorted to phoning Sky. After a lot of going off to ask someone, the result was that they thought my box was too old to have the feature.

Any thoughts anyone?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mrtickle » Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Same as before.
Instead of waiting for the next failure of something you wanted to watch, why not do a test?
Set up a recording of a 5-minute manual recording on BBC1.
Watch the Tivo change the channel on the STB and start the recording.
As soon as you can, use the Aux bypass button on the tivo remote to check the STB was correctly changed to BBC1 by TiVo.
Then, deliberately put the STB in standby using the STB's own remote, but let TiVo finish the recording for the full 5 minutes.
See how much of a recording your TiVo has, and let us know how closely the results of this recording match the problem black bar recordings you've had.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby The maverick » Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 am

I'm not getting black bars any more, the last time it recorded BBC2 Eng instead of BBC2 Scot at the right time. The other dozens an dozens of programmes come in perfect each week.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby steveroe » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 am

On what channel number does Tivo think BBC2S is broadcast?

Which channel do you get if you manually change to that channel number on your Sky box?
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby The maverick » Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 am

The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby excoriated » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 am

Is your Sky viewing card from England or Scotland? They are regionalized.

If it's an English card (like mine) then you should use channel 970 for BBC2 Scotland (not 102).

(but even it's not regionalised you could still try 970)

Then try the test recording mentioned above....
excoriated
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby The maverick » Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 am

How would I tell whether the card ius English or Scottish? I cant see why it would be Scottish. It doesn't mention a region on it. I have deleted the season pass to Landward and re-entered nit but there's onlyt one option - BBC2S no mention of a channel number.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am

Trying manual recording on 970 but is there a way to set up a season pass on 970?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DX30 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:51 am

It sounds very like you have ticked the wrong channel numbers in the TiVo "Channels You Receive" list.

If your Sky card is for England then the Sky box will have BBC2 (England) on channel 102 while BBC2 (Scotland) on channel 970. If the Sky card is for Scotland then BBC2 (Scotland) is on 102 and BBC2 (England) is on 969. Your TiVo doesn't know this, you have to tell it.

Make sure the only version of BBC2 (Scotland) that you tick in "Channels You Receive" is that for 970. All other versions should be unticked. The Landward "Season Pass" will then only have one place to record from, that is 970.

The same applies to other channels. The TiVo "Channels You Receive" has multiple BBC1 regions listed for channel 101 for instance. You need to make sure only one of them is ticked and also it is the region that the Sky card selects.

I don't know where you got your Sky box from. When ordered new from Sky the channels on the card are set to those for the postcode given at the time. So if you bought it directly from Sky you will have the channels for your local area. If on the other hand you bought a 2nd hand Sky box on eBay or the like the channels will be those for the original purchaser, so could be anywhere. It would be helpful to know this.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Tue May 13, 2014 11:39 am

Channels you receive isn't an area I'd ever looked in - all boxes were ticked. I unticked all to 102 channel boxes and kept 970 ticked. When it recorded it still recorded 102 on BBC2 Eng.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General