Is my house haunted? No, it's just a Sky update...

General Discussion

Is my house haunted? No, it's just a Sky update...

Postby Suds » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Anyone else found themselves thinking they had forgotten to switch their TV off? Or that it had mysteriously switched itself on?

Well I did this morning, and it turns out it's down to a new software version that Sky kindly downloaded to my Sky box overnight. This version has a new feature that allows the Sky box to actually turn on a TV that's in standby if it's attached to the HDMI port when you press the Sky button on the remote. This new feature is turned on by default.

And what does my TiVo do when it wants to record something? It sends the Sky button code followed by the channel it wants. So at some point last night, my Sky box got updated, some time later my TiVo went to record something, sent the Sky button code and the Sky box promptly turned on the TV... which then stayed on until I went into the living room at lunch time.

Luckily (for once) Sky has been thoughtful enough to include a menu option to turn off this HDMI control, which I've now done.

Updates will be the death of me I'm sure...
Suds
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: Is my house haunted? No, it's just a Sky update...

Postby mrtickle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Of more note, to us TiVo users, is that Sky have added Suggestions! 14 years late! Since Virgin stupidly renamed lots of core TiVo functions ("Season Pass" became "Series Link", and "Suggestions" became "Recommendations"), Sky probably thought "fine, we'll call our new feature 'Suggestions', then!".
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General