sky plus boxes

General Discussion

sky plus boxes

Postby bandsp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:16 pm

My old bog standard Sony box is beginning to show signs of problems .. occasionally when changing channel it seems to lose contact with the dish (or something) .. will not work again until switched off and on (doing it with the remote works) ..

Have looked for a replacement, but they are scarce (and old of course) ..

Wondering about a second hand Sky plus box .. not bothered about the HD transmissions .. will TiVo handle it, or will I have to 'teach' TiVo the codes? and does anyone know whether my old non-subscription card work in it, or will I need to get a Freesat via sky card?

Thanks
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: sky plus boxes

Postby steveroe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:21 pm

:D TiVo can control it, use code 20017. Don't know about the other questions, sorry.
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 pm

bandsp wrote:and does anyone know whether my old non-subscription card work in it, or will I need to get a Freesat via sky card?

Thanks

Sky replace all the cards every few years (not very often though as it's expensive for them!). But as long as that card is from this current generation of cards, it should work. Freesat-from-sky / Free-to-view cards, used to watch the encrypted-but-free channels, are effectively the same as a non-subscription card and an ex-subscription card (ie one from a subscription where you are no longer paying). Sometimes you have to leave the card in the box powered on for up to 48 hours for it to start working, other than that there shouldn't be an issue. You can always try it in your current Sony box of course :) HTH
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks fellas .. just bought a Thomson non-hd box .. comes with some sort of sky card .. will see what happens
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 am

For reference .. my existing blue sky card works ok but none of the plus functions will work unless I pay £10/month (not worth it) .. but I do have effectively a good working basic sky box (for £11 inc shipping) where the old one was playing up.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:07 am

That's unbeatable value, really!
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General