daily call

General Discussion

daily call

Postby bandsp » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:19 pm

When i get up over 300 recordings (32% of so of my 1000gig (I think) disc) I start having trouble with the daily call failing. Usually number unavailable but also hangs in download and then says call interrupted.

I have the cachecard for wifi connection can't recall for certain what size memory card I have in it but on restart it says 128 mb DIMM (Is the memory card?), 512mb database (is this the on-card memory, or what?)

Would a bigger memory help, or what is likely to be causing my problems?

But ... exactly what is the DIMM RAM used for if the database ram is built into the Cachecard?

My (personal) memory is getting worse ..

went through a lot of this august last year ..

Can't make much sense of that last thread ..

whatever, I know that when I start getting problems, if I clear some recordings it will sing and dance in tune again ..

would still like to know what the DIMM is used for
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: daily call

Postby DX30 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:14 pm

The DIMM is the RAM memory fitted on the cachecard. The database size refers to how much data the TiVo keeps on disk drive.

The cachecard speeds things up by keeping copies of the most used parts of the database in the DIMM memory where it can be accessed much quicker than going to the disk drive. The bigger the DIMM the more of the database can be kept there so in theory the faster things will go.

I've only ever used a 512MB DIMM in a cachecard so I'm afraid I don't know how much of a speed hit you take using a 128MB DIMM. I also don't see any obvious connection between DIMM size and a failing daily call so even if you see a general speed improvement a larger DIMM may not help that particular problem. Given however you can get a 512MB DIMM for under a tenner on the like of amazon it isn't an expensive thing to try.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:55 am

Ah .. the fog clears slightly .. thanks .. I may well get another RAM .. it's just a bind to, first, get at my TiVo and the to get into it ..

I do have some spare, smaller, drives .. maybe i'll put the altepg image on one and see if it makes a difference to the daily call problem (except that means either trying to shift my recordings across or ditching them)

Does no-one else have a problem with the 1000 gig disk?
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby asfafa » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:33 pm

I have a 1TB disk in my TiVo, along with a 512MB Network Cache Card, using a wired connection, and I don't have any problems with the Daily Call.

I have 284 programmes on the disk, which occupies 65% of the drive, and apart from being a little slow when going through the programme list, it's been working fine. I'm pretty sure there have been over 300 programmes before, and I've not noticed any problems.

The only time I've had a problem with the Daily Call has been when my ADSL was pitifully slow - 2Mbits down, 0.4Mbits up, and it would fail 19 times out of 20, for no discernible reason. Since getting BT Infinity, no problems whatsoever.
asfafa
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mrtickle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:53 pm

The amount of RAM in the cachecard will only affect how fast things are (menus etc and Db access - the post-call indexing is an example). Never how much memory is available to TiVo. That would be the motherboard ram + swapfile. Check your swapfile is created and active.

Other than that, I've noticed in general that with lots of recordings, various hacks start to become creaky. With 200+ recordings "Daily Mail" crashes sometimes for me, and I've always assumed that is TiVo[web] running out of memory because there is a fixed size of ram it reserves when it starts up.

The UI menu option "Show all upcoming Wishlist Matches" is another sure-fire way of crashing a TiVo if you have lots of WIshlists which match things, too.

Solution is to watch things and delete them so you are down to a more manageable number of recordings! Easier said than done of course :)
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks Mr. T.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who gets trouble ..

I have been wondering about putting in a 512mb memory, but before spending the pennies, I thought I'd try it without any extra, so removed the existing 128m card.

Surprise surprise .. it all seems to work better .. daily call OK .. can get to TiVoweb without any trouble .. so I'll keep it that way for a while .. though now, on reboot / reset I don't see the Silicon Dust screen .. goes straight into starting the hacks.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:08 am

Just another query .. since removing the memory card, I don't get my daily status email .. I had it set so that when I am away I can keep track of whether the daily call has worked (not that I can do anything about it)

Is the daily email a function of having a memory card installed?
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:07 pm

bandsp wrote:Just another query .. since removing the memory card, I don't get my daily status email .. I had it set so that when I am away I can keep track of whether the daily call has worked (not that I can do anything about it)

Is the daily email a function of having a memory card installed?

No, the cachecard has no effect on anything other than to partially speed up the User Interface menus.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Funny things happen in this house!
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:39 am

I have re-installed the daily email hack .. working fine .. so it seems it may be in some way dependent on the memory card if present, but will work without it if not there on installation.

Not aware of any other hack not now working.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 pm

bandsp wrote:I have re-installed the daily email hack .. working fine .. so it seems it may be in some way dependent on the memory card if present,

As explained before. It is not.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General