How can I force my TiVo to boot the other partition?

General Discussion

How can I force my TiVo to boot the other partition?

Postby aturner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 pm

First and foremost, many thanks to all of you at AltEPG for keeping my S1 alive. I really appreciate all that you're doing to keep this going. My OAP mother in law would also thank you too if she understood what it is you do to make her TiVo work! Her AltEPG TiVo really has 'untied' her from the VCR and the need to be a slave to TV schedules.

Can anyone offer any advice please... I'm running my TiVo on Tivoheaven's software build and like a fool, I never bothered to install or configure a lot of the tools such as TivoWeb on the 'other' non-active partition while it was all fresh in my mind. I believe my TiVo has switched partitions since then because there's nothing on port 80 and I can't see the TivoWeb binaries on the current partition either.

I have telnet access and FTP but that's about it. I'd rather not nuke and re-pave with a fresh install of the Alt-EPG software and lose all of my recordings etc. How can I get my TiVo to 'switch' to the other partition please?
aturner
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: How can I force my TiVo to boot the other partition?

Postby aturner » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:08 pm

For the record, I found what I was looking for - Kick start codes if anyone is looking for the same thing.

Anyhow, didn't solve my problem as I'd hoped, oh well! :D
aturner
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: How can I force my TiVo to boot the other partition?

Postby Pegasus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 am

Sounds like the TiVo has suffered a "panic" and has erased /var/hack as part of its auto-recovery mechanism. But if you have FTP access then you can easily put the files back.

Connect via FTP and confirm that there isn't a /var/hack or a /hack (in root directory) directory.

You can download the latest TivoWebPlus by logging-in to your account here and going to the Install Software page and download TivoWebPlus214-UK20131225 (Note: you won't be able to use the auto-install service as that only works with AltEPG images not TivoHeaven). Follow the "How to Install" notes.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you FTP the file across to your TiVo in "binary" mode - most FTP software defaults to "text" mode and you must change that.
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Return to General