Guide data stopped last week...

General Discussion

Guide data stopped last week...

Postby BestGear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:30 am

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help here...at my wits end.

Guide data stopped last wednesday on my S1 ALTEPG.

Nothing has changed in my home network.

The test call completes without error, but the full update fails and reports number not available.

If I look at my UTM logs, I can see my tivo connecting out, so it does reach the server.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

David
BestGear
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Guide data stopped last week...

Postby BestGear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Meant to add...this is using a turbonet card, not dial up.
BestGear
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby cerihp » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:43 am

Hi.

If you search this forum for tcd411 you'll find loads of posts relating to failed connections; some of the suggestions there may help. I've had similar problems a couple of times and deleting a couple of temporary files fixed it for me. You'll need to log in to the TiVo for this; search here for telnet for instructions on that.

If that doesn't help, we'll need more information on the problem. If you watch the daily call progress, either through the TiVo or Tivoweb, how far does it get before failing?

What gets written to the log file? Tivoweb has a menu to access log files; you'll be looking for the last few lines (the tail) of the tclient log (the file is /var/log/tclient if you're using ftp or telnet rather than tivoweb) or otclient if TiVo thinks it went OK, as it copies tclient to otclient and wipes it on successful completion.

Good luck!
--
...........................................................Ceri.
cerihp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby BestGear » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi

Thanks for that steer -some very handy stuff in these threads.

I have got this fixed, after much head scratching, and it was down to an update of my (Untangle) UTM in the end. I had ruled this out as the same rules were within it (the UTM) and nothing had changed, but alas a new match was found in its armoury and prevented the task completing.

So - sweat of the brow - TIVO lives again... I was starting to thing that its life was over, again.

David
BestGear
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mrtickle » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Cool, glad it was sorted. Out of interest did you get all the way to the last day of guide data and run out, or were you in time? TiVo has nag screens when it's running out of data which get progressively more insistent (it really doesn't like running out of data!). The OzTiVo guys created the "NoNag" channel on purpose to stave off these nags, but we trimmed down the number of days that NoNag carries. I wanted people to get the warnings in time to do something about it!
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby mrtickle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:01 pm

mrtickle wrote:Cool, glad it was sorted. Out of interest did you get all the way to the last day of guide data and run out, or were you in time? TiVo has nag screens when it's running out of data which get progressively more insistent (it really doesn't like running out of data!). The OzTiVo guys created the "NoNag" channel on purpose to stave off these nags, but we trimmed down the number of days that NoNag carries. I wanted people to get the warnings in time to do something about it!

For reference, this is what should happen:

• When TiVo has >7 days of data, it behaves normally.
  • With 7 days of data, you get a single "only 7 days of data" banner, as a gentle hint
  • With 4-6 days of data, you get multiple "only x days of data" banners which should be more annoying, and a bit of a stronger hint
  • With 3 days or fewer of data, you get a "Please make a call soon" message, which is Pre-Tivo Central (right in your face, impossible to ignore).
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby philg » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:45 pm

mrtickle wrote:For reference, this is what should happen:

• With 7 days of data, you get a single "only 7 days of data" banner, as a gentle hint
  • With 4-6 days of data, you get multiple "only x days of data" banners which should be more annoying, and a bit of a stronger hint
  • With 3 days or fewer of data, you get a "Please make a call soon" message, which is Pre-Tivo Central (right in your face, impossible to ignore).

and when you run RIGHT out guide data it gets REALLY insistent (my network switch failed when I was out of the country and poor Tivo did indeed run right out of guide data

And it too an alarmingly long time to get itself back to normal (almost 12 hours) although the "daily call" completed quite quickly under the circumstances
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 pm

philg wrote:
mrtickle wrote:For reference, this is what should happen:

and when you run RIGHT out guide data it gets REALLY insistent (my network switch failed when I was out of the country and poor Tivo did indeed run right out of guide data

Absolutely! It goes nuts :)

philg wrote:And it too an alarmingly long time to get itself back to normal (almost 12 hours) although the "daily call" completed quite quickly under the circumstances

Yeah there's a lot of indexing to do. I know the banner at the bottom of the screen that says you can't search until indexing has complete gives a long estimate
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General