Wanted -Network card for series 1 or networked tivo series 1

General Discussion

Wanted -Network card for series 1 or networked tivo series 1

Postby tivoted » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:22 pm

I would really like to add tivo onto our network. If anyone has either the hardware spare or knows a way I can do network this inexpensively I would very much appreciate the help.

Dial up is struggling and machine starting to hang / lock increasingly. I have a spare disk on standby for rebuild but really would like to use a network card for fresh build.

Thanks for any help / advice.
tivoted
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Wanted -Network card for series 1 or networked tivo seri

Postby DX30 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:53 pm

The only company I know of where you might be able to buy a network card is http://9thtee.com/products/4-tivo-upgrades

It is in the US so you would need to add in shipping and customs, so it will work out fairly expensive.

Alternatively keep an eye open here and on ebay where networked TiVo's make an occasional appearance.

The cheapest alternative to dialup is likely to be a Serial PPP connection as described here https://www.safaribooksonline.com/libra ... 04s03.html

The article is for Windows XP but it is possible with Windows 7 as well (not sure about Windows 8 and 10). There are threads covering Serial PPP on this forum if you want to try this route.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby tivoted » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for the advice - I will hold out for a cachecard if possible - I was hoping someone might have one sitting in an attic unused - a long shot I know. Dial-up seems to be increasingly unreliable these days for me. It's getting tougher to justify keeping the trusty Tivo :(
tivoted
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mrtickle » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:20 pm

I used to use Serial PPP for a long time before I got my network card. I wrote it up on the TiVo community forum (search for my posts there than there are links in the sig). You just need a serial cable, then the TiVo uses the PC's internet connection. The USA TiVoweb guys even used that connection to remote into my TiVo for beta testing of TiVoweb so that it would work properly on UK TiVos. So it was worth having!

If pulling off programmes via the network isn't a high priority, it's a perfectly usable option for TiVoweb + daily calls.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Return to General