Problems downloading EPG data via POTS

General Discussion

Re: Problems downloading EPG data via POTS

Postby Mike Sugar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:42 am

Yes, this is what I have done for years.

Out of choice, I have only 1 lnb

I use Freesat with Tivo for recording. When not recording, I can view direct through Sky HD.

Whilst recording through Freesat and Tivo, I can, and do bypass, by viewing using Freeview - it
works well and I avoid paying Sky a subscription.

Mike.
Mike Sugar
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby rondun » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 am

Mike Sugar wrote:Hi,

I updated last year to a Sky HD DRX 595 - and was able to use my existing subscription card -
but I don't know if this would be possible with a Sky HD+.
Thanks

DX30 wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you intend to do.

If you mean to record on the SkyHD+ box then you will need a sky subscription to do so. If you already have a Sky subscription you should be able to phone Sky and get the existing card paired to the new box and also get recording activated on the card. With only 1 lnb cable it will work (use the installer menu to set single lnb mode) but not that well.

What I want to do is just use a sky + hd box as a direct plug and play replacement with current subscription for the broken tivo until I decide what to do and without having to fork out any more money to sky, which should work as you say.

That only leaves me wondering what disappointments lie in store as I begin to use recording on a sky box rather than the tivo - I'm getting peanut withdrawal already!
rondun
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Mike Sugar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:14 am

Well, the offer still stands.

Remove your HDD, mail to it me, I will write a new AltEPG image on to it, and mail it back to you -
hopefully returning it the same/next day.

I would just ask you to pay the postage both ways.

Mike.
Mike Sugar
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby lloyd » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:03 am

Hi

Can someone confirm an appropriate swap size for 1GB drive is 500MB?

Thanks

Lloyd
lloyd
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby rondun » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Mike Sugar wrote:Well, the offer still stands.

cheers Mike, I'll keep that in mind
rondun
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby dotdot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm

hi there,

A belated 'i have a major problem with my tivo'.

Haven't seen an epg update in an age - it's now run out of data - yellow light always on - power off on , disconnect reconnect... back to .. same place - for the past couple of days.

test phone call works.

daily dial - always fails. (0161 iirc)

running with altepg image - from tivoland a couple of years back.

any help would be much appreciated.. the feeling you get when your tivo "pops its clogs" is not one I'd wish to go through too often.

tia..
dotdot
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Furbag » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Well mums ones is back to locking up when trying to get the guide data again :roll: worked for a few days after our major glitch but now continues to lock up.

Doesnt matter which dial in config is set 000 or 127 same result :( looks like I'll have to do something with the network cable and fire up the spare network one and hope that continues to function.
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby BE3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:32 pm

I have the same scenario as dotdot. TiVo hangs every time it starts to download epg data; not successful since last Tuesday.

No reason to suspect the TiVo. Dial up test call works fine. Has very occassionally done the same in the past, iirc when there was a lot of data to download but sorted itself out after a day or two.

Haven't chanced clearing the programme data in case it won't download again - I've still got data to the end of Tuesday.... Could it be a hang over from the corrupted data last weekend?

That's my post number one!
BE3
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby dotdot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:22 pm

further to earlier post

1/ cleared data as per earlier post - no change
2/ kickstart - tried that -looked convincing - lights came on - reboot and delay all looked fine - no change

current situation - no epg - at all.

tivo stays on a channel for a while then hangs - presumably on the first dial out.

on next power on...
test call - always comes back fine.
any other dial out fails.
( i go back to tv make sure it works.. then, as above.. it hangs..)

people ? you are my only source of info , it's lasted an age - some might say a generation - for it all to end like this - is .... surely not possible.

(is a rebuild on the cards - are my recordings safe , sep db i'd guess ! who can help.. ? )

speaketh !!
dotdot
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Furbag » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Have you tried this dotdot

camusp wrote:Hello, I believe that I have (at last) found a work around for my AltEPG program guide phone dialup issue. Having read through the TiVo community thread below;

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showth ... p?t=122090

I found information relating to TiVo backdoor codes; In section 5 there is a summary of TiVos 'Clear Clear Enter Enter' codes (the C-C-E-E described below stands for "Clear Clear Enter Enter"). Note that the following code needs to be entered when in the TiVo's "System Information" screen (which is in the 'Messages & setup' menu).
"C-C-E-E 0" allows you to update Tivo's "Dial-in configuration code". I replaced the AltEPG's '127' entry with '000' then another 'enter' to accept the change. Knowing that the standard EPG program guide calls worked, 000 matches the setting on my standard EPG TiVo. (also a note to just ignore the TFA=1 data)
Now the AltEPG program guide calls work reliably again without my TiVo hanging.

Some important things to note;
1. there is a word of caution in the tivocommunity thread that entering incorrect configuration codes can cause issues, so do it at your own risk and take care.
2. the updated 000 Dial-in configuration code gets forgotten after a TiVo reboot, and so will then need to be reset to again 000.
3. I believe that it is also possible to edit a TiVo config file via Telnet to make the above change permanent.
4. I am not sure if any other AltEPG functionality will be affected by changing the 127 entry, I have not come across any issues so far.

I hope that the above information is helpful.

Fixed mums one................for a while ..........now since the last data whoops its died again :|
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm

All I can suggest is you persevere and keep trying to force daily calls in the hope one eventually succeeds. Switching away from dialup to either a network card or serial ppp connection will fix the lockup but I appreciate it is easier said than done. I got my mother a cachecard for her tivo when the dialup lockups got too bad a year ago so that is the route I'd recommend if you can.

FYI using dialup has been prone to random lockups for years, although they seem to be becoming increasingly common. The longer the dialup takes the more likely the lockup so test calls of a few seconds work but when there is a lot of guide data to download they are much more likely to fail. AFAIK no one has yet found out why. A search of the forum will find many posts of things that appeared to help for a bit but nothing that is a permanent cure.

Your recordings are safe and manual recordings are still possible (just unplug the phone line to prevent daily calls causing lockups).

Sorry it isn't better news
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dotdot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:53 am

couldn't get the backdoor to work - to change the config from within connection status.
(are they enabled by def on altepg ? )

thought i might get a decent refresh by going back through guided setup.

went most of the way through then hung - twice.

Now - since the guided setup failed to complete - it's groundhog day on every reboot - "guided setup please ?" !!!

the first call works - but the second.. fails , most disappointing - to say the least it's now off and we've gone back to the late 90's it feels.

..suggestions appreciated.
dotdot
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Furbag » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 pm

dotdot wrote:couldn't get the backdoor to work - to change the config from within connection status.

Mums TiVo has a standard alt epg drive from TiVo land and the 'Clear Clear Enter Enter" codes work fine on it, you must be "System Information" and it does appear that nothings happening but it does.
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:39 pm

dotdot wrote:couldn't get the backdoor to work - to change the config from within connection status.

thought i might get a decent refresh by going back through guided setup.

went most of the way through then hung - twice.

Now - since the guided setup failed to complete - it's groundhog day on every reboot - "guided setup please ?" !!!

the first call works - but the second.. fails , most disappointing - to say the least it's now off and we've gone back to the late 90's it feels.

..suggestions appreciated.

On an altepg image kickstart 54 will abort the guided setup. It won't help with the lockups but at least you will be able to get at your existing recordings.

Edit: You can also change the dialin code during setup if you want to try that, see step 13 here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=480

In that example it is set to 127 but you could choose 000 in the same way.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dotdot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Ok got the back door to work , then hung at the final dial out.... Now it's lights out for tivo#1 for now.

I have another two TiVos I bought ( as you do on the bay) in case of disaster , both of which may not yet be registered with the altepg .. Thingy

I cant seem to get into that section for some reason , can someone advise ?

These tivo a will be brought out of the loft in the coming days , this effin debarcle may continue.

One has a network card , can someone point me at a link which will get me working with that ? I was going to buy the tivo hacks book , but well I don't have that kind of time.

As ever people, thanks for you help , and please bear with me... As I plumb further.
dotdot
Almost there...
Almost there...

PreviousNext

Return to General