Leaving Tivo powered off and avoiding Guided Setup

General Discussion

Leaving Tivo powered off and avoiding Guided Setup

Postby stevemcc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I decided to resurrect my spare Tivo today to get it up to date in terms of versions of AltEPG, TWPlus, DailyMail etc. It had been turned off for many months, so of course I had to do a Guided Setup once I turned it on before I could do anything else.

Now it's updated, I was thinking that I ought to power it on every now and then to allow it to do a daily call so that I can avoid having to do a Guided Setup if I need to use it in anger at short notice.

I seem to remember the Tivo could go for something like a month without a Daily Call but haven't been able to find any proof of this on the web! Does anyone remember how long it will last? If not, I guess I would definitely be safe with leaving it powered off for 2 weeks at a time followed by leaving it on for 24 hours to allow a Daily Call and loading of data.

Cheers, Steve
stevemcc
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Leaving Tivo powered off and avoiding Guided Setup

Postby Pegasus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 am

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought you needed to do a Guided Setup after it ran out of data. Mine ran out (for 2 weeks) last month and all I had to do was just a Daily Call.

We have guide data for about 7-9 days ahead (varies by channel!). After that your Tivo will complain about guide data having run out. It will still work at that point but obviously won't auto-record any new programmes.

Maybe there is a point after which it will insist on refreshing GS? (comment anyone?)

p.s. there's no need to leave it on for 24 hours - as you have TivoWebPlus you can just go to your browser and System -> Phone -> Make Daily Call Now. Leave the browser window open and it will tell you when data loading has finished.
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Re: Leaving Tivo powered off and avoiding Guided Setup

Postby stevemcc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am

Yes, I was surprised when it wanted to do a GS; I'd thought a Daily Call would be all it needed. I thought that I'd left it in a fully working state when I powered it off months ago, but it's possible that I hadn't!

Good point about using TWP rather than leaving it on for 24 hours.

Cheers, Steve
stevemcc
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General