TiVo Replacement ?

General Discussion

TiVo Replacement ?

Postby The maverick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't know how many of us are still ploughing a lone furrow with our Tivos. I still think its a fantastic piece of kit so much so that I haven't looked into what else is available. I know several years ago it was said that there still wasn't anything as good as the TiVo series 1 is that still the case? Are any of the alternatives as user friendly?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: TiVo Replacement ?

Postby mikemusic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm

iPlayer is a great back up to the Tivo.

Very useful when the TV companies cannot tell the time and end a minute or more late.
(Can't always put 2 minutes on the end as the next programme needs to be recorded on a different channel)
Also great when there is so much clashing you can pick one to watch on iPlayer
Mike
mikemusic
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mikerr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:14 pm

See thread a bit further down:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1884

But now we have on demand streaming like iPlayer, Netflix and NowTV the need for a DVR is declining.
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pegasus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:35 pm

That depends on (a) how much money you've got available to spend on monthly subs, (b) whether you're in the 50% of the country which can't get faster than 10 Mbit broadband connection :(
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Postby The maverick » Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 pm

mikerr wrote:See thread a bit further down:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1884

But now we have on demand streaming like iPlayer, Netflix and NowTV the need for a DVR is declining.

But then don't iplayer recordings only work for about a week or has that changed?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm

Pegasus wrote:That depends on (a) how much money you've got available to spend on monthly subs, (b) whether you're in the 50% of the country which can't get faster than 10 Mbit broadband connection :(

I have no wish to pay a monthly sub I only got TiVo 15 years ago in the last week they were available in NE England when I discovered you could get a lifetime sub. Have 28 mbps here in rural North Yorkshire.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General