Guided Setup after power outage?

General Discussion

Guided Setup after power outage?

Postby reh » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 am

Hi. I had to disconnect my TiVo from the mains yesterday (to fit a replacement battery in my UPS), and have just discovered that it hasn't rebooted properly (first spotted via TiVoWeb, which was running but giving errors for certain functions). When I checked the TiVo itself, it was showing the normal menu, and the normal post-reboot messages about the IP address etc, but it also had a message about no guide data for more than 30 days. When I checked the settings, it showed last successful call on 1 Jan. When I tried going to live TV, it showed no input. I tried a System Reset, and didn't spot any error messages on boot up, but it is now showing "Welcome to TiVo! / Guided Setup will take about 35 minutes of your time".

Any idea what has happened here? Presumably, if I go through Guided Setup I will lose all of my stored programmes (or have I lost them all already)?

The only thing I have changed lately is replacing my TV (yesterday) with one with no SCART input, so I have had to add a SCART to HMDI converter. But I did try the TiVo after that, and it seemed to work OK. I disconnected the TiVo's power later the same day. It doesn't seem likely that an output converter could affect the TiVo itself - could it? Or is it just a random coincidence?

Hope someone can advice/help. Thanks. Ruth
reh
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: Guided Setup after power outage?

Postby DX30 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Completing the Guided Setup won't in itself touch your recordings so you might as well do that.

As to whether you have already lost your recordings it is possible. When you did a System Reset which option did you use? The least intrusive is a Restart which doesn't touch anything but given you are now in Guided Setup you may well have used one of the other options. If you did Clear and Delete Everything that would indeed delete your recordings.

The other possibility could be it was disk corruption that led to the problems after the disconnection and the TiVo is now attempting to repair itself. If that is the case whether your recordings will survive depends on how bad things were.

I don't know about using a SCART-HDMI convertor with a TiVo, it's not something I have tried, but I doubt it caused the problems. The timing is more likely to be because of the power disconnection. The extra strain as the hard disk spins up means that is often when components fail and the TiVo also does a lot of checks at startup so that is often when it detects a problem that may have been there unnoticed for some time.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General