Serial connection to TiVo

General Discussion

Serial connection to TiVo

Postby bandsp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:49 pm

I am looking to set up a serial connection to one of my TiVos .. I have succeeded way way back but getting no joy at the moment..

I have the USB to serial connection hardware that I used before and have set the Scheduling rules to ,#2 but suspect it may need addresses too .. Pages in the forum which are pointed to by relevant post now seem to be missing ..

The pc is seeing the usb/serial connection but I cant find any address on the network relating to it ..

Mr Tickle did have a page but that has gone ..

would be greatly obliged for advice ,,,
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Serial connection to TiVo

Postby DX30 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:01 pm

This thread is worth a read for Serial PPP http://www.altepg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=464

TiVo Hacks also deals with this https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OsT9uglnpZIC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=tivo+serial+ppp&source=bl&ots=6jjxTe9DiI&sig=ACfU3U24WssRJ7M2eB4CRbBuxHif2K-jkQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvnryG4d7gAhXo1uAKHf9OBwAQ6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=tivo%20serial%20ppp&f=false

The TiVo Hacks is a bit out of date. If you are running the altepg image and using ,#2 you won't need to alter the TiVo side. The PC side covers Windows XP so if you are running something newer you will have a few more hoops to jump. For Windows 7 see the thread here in the first link above. I'm not aware if anyone has successfully used Windows 8 or 10.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks for that info .. have tried but on Windows 10 .. screens seem quite different .. will have a go on one of my old laptops .. I think I've got one with XP .. may not needed .. I may have located a CacheCard which will save the bother ..
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pegasus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:27 am

I'm sure if you ask on here someone will give you a cachecard. You could have one of mine but I don't have access to them at the moment sadly. :(
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Postby bandsp » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Pegasus wrote:I'm sure if you ask on here someone will give you a cachecard. You could have one of mine but I don't have access to them at the moment sadly. :(

Thank you .. I have two (I hope) on the way .. just acquired a couple of TiVos which should have cards in them ..

better than letting them go for scrap ..

B
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General