Re-image a HDD

General Discussion

Re-image a HDD

Postby bandsp » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:56 pm

I have just acquired a couple of TiVos, mainly for the internet cards (Both TurboNet, or at least not CacheCards) ..

I now have my old spare box (see earlier thread about Serial Connection) working with one of the 'new' cards,

Both of the boxes still have the original TiVo image, and I would like to put the AltEPG image on.

I have the image on a CD ROM, but my old desktop PC has a SATA not IDE drive .. my other old pc with IDE disappeared, along with a Sky Box in the last house move)

I do have a USB to IDE drive bit of kit .. can I use this to re-image the TiVos old disks?

There are references in the forum to using the altEPG on the original TiVo, but reference is made to the TiVoland site, which no longer exists ..
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Re-image a HDD

Postby DX30 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 am

bandsp wrote:I have just acquired a couple of TiVos, mainly for the internet cards (Both TurboNet, or at least not CacheCards) ..... Both of the boxes still have the original TiVo image, and I would like to put the AltEPG image on.

I have the image on a CD ROM, but my old desktop PC has a SATA not IDE drive .. my other old pc with IDE disappeared, along with a Sky Box in the last house move)

I do have a USB to IDE drive bit of kit .. can I use this to re-image the TiVos old disks?

The version of Linux used on the altepg bootable CD is old, hence the need for an IDE PC. I doubt the USB to IDE kit is supported although you could give it a try.

Some people have reported success with SATA PC's using MFSTools on an MFSLive boot CD.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150910132612/http://www.mfslive.org/

This uses a newer version of Linux that may work with your SATA PC. Alternatvely you could try WinMFS and use that to clone the hard drive from your existing altepg tivo.

bandsp wrote:There are references in the forum to using the altEPG on the original TiVo, but reference is made to the TiVoland site, which no longer exists ..

Replace the "www.tivoland.com" with "www.altepg.com" when following the links.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Re-image a HDD

Postby bandsp » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 am

DX30 wrote:
bandsp wrote:I have just acquired a couple of TiVos, mainly for the internet cards (Both TurboNet, or at least not CacheCards) ..... Both of the boxes still have the original TiVo image, and I would like to put the AltEPG image on.

The version of Linux used on the altepg bootable CD is old, hence the need for an IDE PC. I doubt the USB to IDE kit is supported although you could give it a try.

Some people have reported success with SATA PC's using MFSTools on an MFSLive boot CD.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150910132612/http://www.mfslive.org/

This uses a newer version of Linux that may work with your SATA PC. Alternatvely you could try WinMFS and use that to clone the hard drive from your existing altepg tivo.

bandsp wrote:There are references in the forum to using the altEPG on the original TiVo, but reference is made to the TiVoland site, which no longer exists ..

Replace the "www.tivoland.com" with "www.altepg.com" when following the links.

Hey, Thanks for all that .. now what remains of my brain is really starting to hurt ..

Will be working through things .. must certainly look at cloning an existing drive ..

thanks again

B
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General