Thanks
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Remote refurbs?

Postby DX30 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 pm

A search for "THOMSON TIVO Remote Control" on amazon.co.uk finds a couple of sellers with new remotes. Alternatively a search on ebay.co.uk finds a number of used remotes described as tested and fully working.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm

I had been hoping to find black ones .. I prefer those button arrangements ..

A while back I bought one with a switch in the middle marked DVR 1 & 2 which is performing very well but I ve not seen any others like it .. don't know which specific TiVo it was shipped with ..

guess I will probably have to go back to the standard silver one ..
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Looking around I came across http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/bugs/wizard/remote/clean.htm

I had always assumed the remote problems were all in the electronickery but after reading this I thought "what the heck, nothing to lose" and took apart one of my old discarded remotes .. followed the instructions and now .. one extra working remote
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:43 pm

bandsp wrote:I had been hoping to find black ones .. I prefer those button arrangements ..

A while back I bought one with a switch in the middle marked DVR 1 & 2 which is performing very well but I ve not seen any others like it .. don't know which specific TiVo it was shipped with ..

guess I will probably have to go back to the standard silver one ..

The middle switch sounds like it might be a "Direct TV Tivo Remote" model as shipped in the USA. An ebay search for that will find some pre-owned for sale. The other black remote I've seen lacks the switch and is the "Philips Tivo Remote" which again you'll find pre-owned on ebay. Given the shipping costs from the USA are likely to be high I guess it depends on how strongly you prefer the layout.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:01 pm

DX30 wrote:[
The middle switch sounds like it might be a "Direct TV Tivo Remote" model as shipped in the USA. An ebay search for that will find some pre-owned for sale. The other black remote I've seen lacks the switch and is the "Philips Tivo Remote" which again you'll find pre-owned on ebay. Given the shipping costs from the USA are likely to be high I guess it depends on how strongly you prefer the layout.

Thanks for that .. at least I know what i'm looking for, but if I can get my other defunct spares working again, maybe I can shelve the search

Tks again ..
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General