using a second drive in TiVo

General Discussion

using a second drive in TiVo

Postby bandsp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm

I am just putting my spare (working) TiVo into use, but it only has a 40Gb EPG disk.

I have other, bigger, non EPG disks in defunct machines.

Can I add one of the spare disks simply by connecting it, or is it more than that .. I do have one one (non working) TiVo with 2 120Gb disks .. would the second one of these be suitable?

Thanks
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: using a second drive in TiVo

Postby DX30 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am

You can add a second drive to a TiVo but it isn't just a matter of physically connecting it. You would need to transfer both drives to a suitable PC and use mfstools or similar to marry the two drives together. See Add New Drive here

https://dvrpedia.carltonbale.com/Backup%2C_Upgrade%2C_Add%2C_or_Replace_TiVo_drive_using_MFSTools.html

To be honest if you are going that far IMHO you would be as well just copying any recordings to a single large drive. Two drives will double the chances of drive failure and you will be putting more strain on the power supply.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: using a second drive in TiVo

Postby bandsp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you, DX30 .. I didn't think it could be as simple as just connecting the second drive ..

I think I'll leave things as they are .. the box is very much for secondary use, in a room overlooking the back garden, and I don't think it would really be worth the effort (even if I had the kit) ..

thanks again
B
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General