copy recording from one TiVo to another ..

General Discussion

copy recording from one TiVo to another ..

Postby bandsp » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Is it possible to copy recordings to another Tivo,?

I have a second TiVo, in a spare room, to pick up stuff I don't want to miss if there's a clash, and it would be nice if I didn't have to go there to watch anything ..

They are both on the same network and I can get to them both with tivoweb and with a file transfer programme .
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: copy recording from one TiVo to another ..

Postby Pegasus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:58 am

I'm not aware of an easy way to do this. It's not as simple as copying a file from one TiVo to another: you have to 'export' the programme from one TiVo and then 'import' to the other. This is (or used to be) a slow process (e.g. 1 hour to export and then 1 hour to import it again for each film).

An alternative is to stream the programme to your computer and watch it there. TivoWebPlus does this, I'm not sure about plain TivoWeb. But the principal is the same: you download a file with .ty extension which you can then play on your computer or media centre. Things like TyTool and mPlayer will download a .ty file from your TiVo.

If there's nothing on this forum (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1197&p=11473&hilit=mplayer#p11473 ) then you could search the old tivocommunity site https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... s-1-uk.14/
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Re: copy recording from one TiVo to another ..

Postby bandsp » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 am

Thank you, P.

will have a look at streaming and see how I go

B.
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General