3 X Tivos plus spare remotes and 2 x Freeviews

General Discussion

3 X Tivos plus spare remotes and 2 x Freeviews

Postby Furbag » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm

I'm sad to say that my dear old mum of 85yrs of age past on recently. I got her into TiVo from almost the getgo, certainly not long after we got our first one in late 2000 as she found she couldnt drive a normal video recorder even with the so called "Video +" remember that ?

I cannot thank the altepg team enough in maintaining the service and I know mum was equally appreciative. I dropped off Altepg once Virgin stopped charging for their TiVo boxes which was around 2013/14 but mum would never have coped with the new system as she was very much stuck in her ways and liked the simple interface. I hung on to our boxes as spares in case her box died. But it just goes to show how robust these little machines are, +20yrs and they are still running.

I'd like to donate these machines to others rather than just bin them

2 x standard TiVo's
1 x networked TiVo CLAIMED
1 x Sony VTX D800U freeview boxes
1 x TiVo PSU CLAIMED
A few spare TiVo and D800U remotes and possibly one spare front panel but I cant find it at the moment

Fairly confident I may even have 2 x original boxes for two of them but will need to check the loft

I'm located on the Southcoast near Portsmouth, I often work in the West Sussex area so could also drop stuff off in that area.

Give me a shout here or via PM, they wont be binned straight away but I wont be able to hold on to them all for ever but I'll update this thread if I do have to bin them but I'd prefer not too.
Last edited by Furbag on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: 3 X Tivos plus spare PSU and remotes and 2 x Freeviews

Postby steveroe » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am

I'm sorry for your loss. It's great to hear how the service has helped an older member of society continue to enjoy TV for so long.

I'm not in a position to take any of them items, I hope someone nearer is!
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am

Thanks Steve
I remember buying it for her as a Christmas present and she said to me why does she want such a complicated thing :D , with in a week she couldnt live with out it and she was always on the blower when there was the odd issue :roll:

Its not so bad these days but if there is one thing I'd say is try and get your parents into tech, mum even in her 80's was good for e-mail, skype and was pretty web savy, although I did have to tell her off on the odd occasion she e-mailed back random Russian women offering their services saying she did not want them :roll: She had laptops, and moved to tablets 15yrs ago, even when she was in hospital she was still skyping us on their free wifi :lol: which was nice that while we still went in every day she could still ping us and we could see her.

It was a sad day when I had to turn off her TiVo and reset it hopefully for a new owner.
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pegasus » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:01 am

Your last sentence had me welling up. That must have been hard for you to do. I hope you are okay. I'm pleased your Mum had such a fun time with her TiVo. Just goes to show that older people are very capable of using tech if it has some genuine usefulness.
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Postby Furbag » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:30 am

Many thanks for your kind words, yes doing the whole thumbs down thing once, twice .....pause........and the last one was quite harder than I was expecting as I knew her box was full of Dad's Army, Cathrine Cookson and other "old person" shows :lol: .

Really its you guys I should thank for all the time and effort money you put in to keep it going, being one of the original adopters I saw the whole AltEPG seed planted and then grow to this lovely large bush/tree it is now. Although as I have watched over the years the poor tree does seem to be slowy getting pruned further and further back as TiVo's expire or folks move on :(

I think much of what goes on is almost fully automated these days but I know there are still folks beavering away in the back ground keeping it all running and for those folks I salute you 8)

I'm doing OK its just a bit odd not having the person I knew as mum who was always there (Dad died when I was young) always available to talk to pick up the bits when I did stupid things or ask for advice, now to not be there ........ I'm an orphan :lol:
Luckily my wife of 20+years is a rock though 8)
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mikemusic » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your mum

Glad she had good times with Tivo
Mike
mikemusic
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:32 pm

PSU now claimed and gone to a restore another TiVo 8)

All other bits still available
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby chris.oates » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:51 pm

A public thank you to Furbag, and also Pegasus who also offered help, for being so quick and helpful over my failed power supply. All running again.

Chris
chris.oates
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: 3 X Tivos plus spare remotes and 2 x Freeviews

Postby Furbag » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Glad I managed to keep your TiVo running 8)
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: 3 X Tivos plus spare remotes and 2 x Freeviews

Postby Furbag » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:08 am

Well its been over a year now and I've finally managed to sell my mothers property so the stash of TiVo's I kept for her at her house have returned home here now, along with a load of other stuff I need to move on.

So if anyone needs a AltEPG ready Tivo or FreeView box just shout
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General