TiVo recording wrong channel

General Discussion

Re: TiVo recording wrong channel

Postby The maverick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Done but no change. If I were to change channel to say 143, then it would already have a digit before it started putting 143 in so it would start say 3.. then type in 14 to become 314 then that would change to 3---. So it types in the correct channel but because it already has a digit the it comes out wrong if you see what I mean?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pegasus » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:30 pm

I assume you've tried:
1. Use "channel up" (or down) instead of typing a number?
2. Changing the batteries in the TiVo remote?
3. A different remote? (Again only have ONE in the room)
Pegasus
Really should get out more

Postby cerihp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:12 pm

A few thoughts...

Seriously dredging the memory cells here, but I have a vague recollection of there being two sets of sky remote codes in TiVo, one of which sends a 'sky' button press before the channel numbers - this generally puts the box in a known state before the digits arrive (hope this is true for sky as well as sky plus!). What code do you have selected in TiVo for the remote? It might also be worth trying a slower speed.

I sometimes have channel change problems when the sunlight reflects onto the front of the sky box, as the signal from the emitter is then not picked up against the high background levels. Try switching lights off/drawing curtains and see if it makes a difference.

I'd also move one of the wands well away, so only one signal is being picked up by the box.

You can often tell what went wrong by watching the first few seconds of a recording as TiVo starts recording before the channel change is sent. This can be paused and viewed slowly to confirm that the first 2 digits are being 'lost' to complete the previous channel change and not happening more than once due to two ir transmitters being visible, as they will appear on screen.
--
...........................................................Ceri.
cerihp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby The maverick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:37 pm

We may have cracked it. I pulled the infra red transmitters further out and now the TiVo live TV is changing channel correctly every time. Changing channel by going up and down as you suggested is the only way I ever have changed it so not familiar with another way. We will have to wait and see if our normal recorded programmes come in correctly from now on. We are heading off in out Motorhome for a few days so it will be the weekend before I get to check.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pegasus » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:43 pm

I pulled the infra red transmitters further out and now the TiVo live TV is changing channel correctly every time.

So it's what I said in my first reply then:
Pegasus wrote:generally these errors are caused by an incorrectly positioned infra-red emitter.
Pegasus

Previous

Return to General