Is TiVo dialup compatible with Digital Voice?

General Discussion

Is TiVo dialup compatible with Digital Voice?

Postby stevegutteridge » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:57 pm

If (when) my phone landline gets upgraded from analogue to Digital Voice (as everybody's will within the next year or two), does anyone know if the TiVo dial up modem will still work? I know some burglar alarms and telecare systems have trouble with it, but nobody even mentions good old dial-up modems.
stevegutteridge
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Is TiVo dialup compatible with Digital Voice?

Postby steveroe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am

Until someone has gone through the process then we won't know for sure.

I found this thread on a BT message board: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone- ... -p/2209993
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby stevegutteridge » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:07 am

Interesting. Basically, the guy did get a dial up modem to work plugged direct into the hub, but a bit hit and miss over the DV adaptor. He was using a 9600 baud modem.

What speed is the modem in the TiVo?
stevegutteridge
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Pegasus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am

A few people have managed to make dial-up modem calls, but at slow speed, on Digital Voice.

There may be more success with an alternative VoIP (voice over IP) provider. "Digital Voice" is BT's version of VoIP but other providers (TalkTalk, Virgin, Sky, etc) will have their own product (called something other than Digital Voice - remember "Digital Voice" is a BT product, and your phone line is NOT provided by BT but by Openreach).

e.g. TalkTalk's new Analogue Terminal Adapter may be more suited to dial-up modems.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... outer.html

But even if you can connect to the Openreach fibre network it doesn't mean your dial-up call will go through. Your call will need to be answered by another modem at the other end, and it will depend on whether our current service provider will offer such a facility (Exa Networks supply our current dial-up service for free).

So the short version is...what @steveroe said: we won't know for sure (and it might work for some but not for others)!
Pegasus
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Postby stevegutteridge » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm

This may be academic (for me) as my broadband contract is up for renewal and it's getting harder to find anyone who will include anytime phone calls at a reasonable price. Most providers now seem to insist that I must now go for full fibre and lose my analgue line. I have therefore decided to bite the bullet and install a cachecard that a friend gave me years ago, and the AltEpg image.

Apart from my PSU failing (see other thread) so far, so good.
stevegutteridge
Powering up...
Powering up...

Return to General