End of SD end of TiVO?

General Discussion

End of SD end of TiVO?

Postby The maverick » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:08 pm

Does the switch off of the4 SD signal mean the end of being able to use Tivo?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: End of SD end of TiVO?

Postby Pegasus » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:57 am

No. But...It depends on your set-top box.

TiVo itself has no concept of SD/HD, it simply takes the signal coming in the scart lead and records it. It records the programme in the quality you choose (Basic/Medium/High/Best). But it's true that even Best quality is not HD-equivalent (and never has been).

As to BBC and C4 going "HD only" well your ability to keep using TiVo depends on your receiving equipment. If you use satellite (Sky, Freesat, or "Freesat from Sky") but it only does SD then your set-top box will no longer be able to decode the programme stream after the switchover, so you will lose all your TV programmes. However, if your sat box is HD then you will be unaffected (other than some channels changing numbers).

If you use a Freeview box then I don't know of any planned changes here, so you will be unaffected.

So:
Freeview -- no change
Satellite HD -- no change
Satellite SD -- you will need to buy an HD box.
Pegasus
Really should get out more

Postby The maverick » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:05 am

Hopefully image attached? DFo I need a new STB?
Attachments
tivo.jpg
tivo.jpg (123.63 KiB) Viewed 46304 times
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:24 am

Under the HD channels is says to receive them phone etc - does that mean paying a subscription?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:06 pm

The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pegasus » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:09 am

Yours looks like one of the original Pace boxes which have got to be, literally, 25 years old now. So it definitely won't do HD.

If buying a new box then you will struggle to find a new set-top box which your TiVo can control (change channels, etc.).

AFAIK you can't get HD from Sky without a subscription of some sort. Your existing Sky viewing card is probably SD-only. But I'm no expert here. (It sounds like you don't currently have a subscription so are using an old Sky free 'viewing' card).

Sky are only interested in pushing Sky Glass (smart tvs) and Sky Stream. I can see them going fully broadband and walking away from satellite within a few years.

Personally, I would dump Sky and look at Freesat HD boxes, and see if there is one which TiVo can control (there's been a few discussions elsewhere on this forum).

(Or even just Freeview -- there isn't much on a free satellite package which you can't get on Freeview.)
Pegasus

Return to General