Tivo/Sky Telephone Links

General Discussion

Tivo/Sky Telephone Links

Postby AndeyH » Wed May 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi guys

I am new to the world of Tivo & forums and looking forward to watching TV in a new way. :D

I am currently installing a system to work alongside an existing Sky box. I am aware that Sky uses a telephone line to down/upload information to my Sky box which I am guessing is their EPG, updates along with other peripheral bits and pieces likes games etc..

My problem is that I had a wooden floor laid a year or so ago with the Sky telephone line underneath. Tivo also uses a telephone line to make a daily call for its EPG? and updates. I do not fancy either
1. Taking the floor up
2. Having a telephone line cable trail around the skirting boards of 2 rooms to get to my Tivo

I have seen wireless phone extenders for sale. Are they a good alternative :?:
Can I not run both the Sky and Tivo of of the same telephone line splitting the line with an adaptor nearer to both boxes negating the need to lay another line:?:

Any help & advise gratefully appreciated

Andey
AndeyH
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Tue May 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Andey,
Sky only uses the phone line for things like purchasing PPV (Pay Per View) events etc. If you don't do this, contray to what Sky say, you can actually leave your Sky box unplugged from the phone line. (mines never plugged in).
The Tivo does however need the phone line plugged in as its guide data is far more extensive and it keeps it up-to-date each day with a Free call usually in the early hours.

If you already have a phone line next to the Sky box (and thats where the Tivo is going to be also), its no problem to use a splitter.

I used some of those wireless telephone extenders years ago in the USA and found them to be problematic with modems to be honest!

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Tivo/Sky Telephone Links

Postby AndeyH » Thu May 17, 2007 8:33 am

Thanks for the advise. I have added the splitter and all looks to be working fine.

If I request a pay per view event will I need to disconnect Tivo temporarily as I complete the purchase :?:

I'm 2 weeks in to the wonderful world of Tivo. I love it....it's fantastic and even the wife likes it! :D The VCR will soon be delivered to that great place in the sky (the loft)

Regs
Andey
AndeyH
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Fri May 18, 2007 2:46 pm

No, it should work fine with them both connected.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby AndeyH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:25 pm

All looks to working fine :D .

Thks for your help Dave
AndeyH
Powering up...
Powering up...

Return to General