New to tivo

General Discussion

New to tivo

Postby cooper » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi Guys

After some searching i think getting a tivo is the way forward

Could you please confirm that the following are true facts

Does the tivo have a buit in tuner

Can i connect it to a nokia dbox2, Genral intrument analouge ct2100, euromax2 cable recievers.

Also can i get away without a phone line using my internet connection to connect for tv listings and upgrades.

Can i record to DVD by FTPing to my laptop.
(if yes can this be done wireless via a wifi router)

Is there a recomended model i should look out for.

Thanks for any advise given

cooper
cooper
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:31 am

The Tivo has a built in RF tuner for the Analog Signals.

The main usage though is through the AUX Scart which allows you to connect any Digibox from of the UK Media Service providers for example (Digital Satellite like Sky, Digital Terrestrial like Freeview or Cable like NTL etc).

Whilst you could probably connect your Dbox to the AUX scart, I'm not sure the system will provide you with all the benefits that the above supported services offer. (Unless you can get the same channels and renumber them on the dbox to match their native numbering scheme).

A networked Tivo will indeed connect to the Tivo EPG servers via an internet connection to save using the phone line.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Also New to Tivo

Postby mglaiste » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi All
I'm also new and am considering Tivo since I have Ntl cable with no sign of a Sky+ type box being availible soon.
I have a couple of queries:-
Having read some of the forum I assume the purpose of networking is two fold:-
1. Access the EPG via the internet instead of phone. I have broadband so this shouldn't be a problem.
2. Transfer video files from the Tivo HDD to another device on the network.
Are these assumptions correct.
I see there are wireless networking options. Will a standard hard wired ethernet card fit in the Tivo device since wireless doesn't work that well in my house. I'd use powerline networking to connect to my network otherwise I'd have to install an extra wireless access point.
How does the Tivo box appear on the network, as an FTP server or a mappable device?
Many thanks in advance for your help. :lol:
mglaiste
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi,
Networking a Tivo brings various benefits, namely being able to install 3rd party utilities to enhance functionality like Tivoweb, TYTool etc.

A networked Tivo is basically another PC on your network being Linux based. You can Telnet & ftp to it and Tivoweb is a set of tools which allow other PC's to access and control the Tivo via a Web Browser.

The best card to use to network a Tivo is a Cachecard which incorporates a NIC based on the original Turbonet design but with better performance.

The best network performance is particularly important should you be interested in video extraction now or at a later date.

The Cachecard is a wired NIC but you can convert it to wireless using a Wireless Gaming Adapter. This would suffice for connectivity the majority of the time and gives you the benefit of still being able to plug in a wired connection to your LAN (for performance) if you wanted to do video extraction.

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Tivo with NTL Cable

Postby mglaiste » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:19 pm

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Tivo is the way forward for me but I have a couple of further questions:-
I have cable TV from Ntl. I live in Wales and can receive both the Welsh and English variations of terrestrial TV, i.e. BBC1, BBC1 Wales, BBC2, BBC2 Wales, HTV, HTV Wales, Channel4 and S4C. Does the Tivo EPG cover all these terrestrial channels and all the cable channels?

I have a PACE STB from NT:-
Do I need an additional adapter to allow the Tivo to change the channel?
The current Ntl box has RF pass through so I can tune my TV to all the terrestrial channels above and to the cable box. Can I continue to do this with the Tivo?

Is it possible to record one channel whilst using time slip on a differrent channel?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

:)
mglaiste
Powering up...
Powering up...

Return to General