No phone line near my Tivo

General Discussion

No phone line near my Tivo

Postby jonnypetrie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:35 pm

I have used Tivo for a number of years, but I have just moved to a new house and there isn't a phone socket anywhere near where I need to put it. My Tivo is not networked. What are my options? - I'd rather not have to pay a BT engineer to come out to put a new socket in just for my Tivo.
jonnypetrie
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi John,

Well Networking is an option, the Cache/Network card is a wired card but you can convert this to wireless using one of those wireless bridge / gaming adapters.

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

extension alternative

Postby BendylegsEddy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:35 pm

hello

funnily enough, i have just come across this very problem.

if it's just that you're not confident enough to lay the phone extension cable, you can get an excellent "invisible" phone cable extension kit which will cover you for 20m or so from argos - 552/1704. the packaging says "requires no skill!" which is an obvious lie, but it is remarkably flat and thin and transparent. it comes with double sided sticky tape tabs. you really do have to be a bit of an idiot not to be able to make a pretty good fist of a wired extension using this. i was impressed. and i can't put up a shelf without drawing blood and requiring [the wall] replastering.

i also spotted a wireless/wifi phone extender in john lewis today. it's £50 but claims a 50m range and compatibility with voice AND data. you've got to plug both ends into power as well as phone, it does cost fifty notes, and i've not tested it, but these things do exist.

there used to be something that networked/carried phone signals over the domestic power supply as well, i think?

hth

ed
BendylegsEddy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Return to General