Tivo and Sky+

General Discussion

Tivo and Sky+

Postby Herb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 am

Hi folks :)

I've just started investigating whether it's possible set up a Tivo/Sky+ system and would be grateful if anyone can tell me whether:

1) I can connect Tivo with/through my existing Pace 3100 Sky+ box?
2) Tivo will then have the ability to record 2 programs simultaneously?
3) What format does Tivo record the programs in? Can I access those recordings from Tivo to stream to my PC in another room.
4) Can I convert Tivo recordings to mpg or divx or some other format?
5) Can the tivo box be set to record remotely - from a pc, mobile or pocketpc?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Herb
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Tivo and Sky+

Postby Homer247 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi ,

Yes you can use both a Sky+ box and a TiVo. I have been for years. I can also pipe stereo sound from either to my hi-fi. The simplest way is to use an external switch unit (or in my case a switchable AV amplifier). You can then either record one program on Sky+ and the other on the TiVo or you can let Sky+ handle program clashes on it's own. You can watch a third program from "Now Playing" or "Planner" while recording the other two and should you feel the need record two terrestrial channels with the VCR's at the same time. I now also have a TV with it's own terrestrial freeview so could have a choice of watching that as the third channel ! You can also download from the Sky+ to the TiVo (in normal TiVo formats) but not the other way round. I actually have VCR's and DVD-RAM unit's hooked up to the system so I can record to them from the TiVo or Sky+ or can record between the VCR's or DVD-RAM.

Hope this helps !
Homer247
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby ramtec » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 pm

think you are 3.5 years too late in yuor reply ;)
ramtec
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 am

Hehe, its easy to miss the post date, I've done it before.

What you have to remember is the Tivo S1 was/still is an incredibly reliable box, its only weak point being the HDD of-course.
Hence, this forum in the past (acting primarily as a customer support presence for tivoland customers) used to go fairly static/idle for long periods of time as tivo's just continue to run & work :-)

Its this reliability (and of-course the ease of use system) that is the reason why so many users feel aggrieved that Tivo Inc. themselves are forcing S1's into early retirement when there's still plenty of life in the old dog ;-)
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Return to General