New Hard Drive

General Discussion

New Hard Drive

Postby camden8 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm

I have had my Tivo for some years now and I think the hard drive may be on its way out and would like to instal a new one.

Does installing a new drive affect the tivo subscription? ie is all the unit information stored elsewhere and so replacing the drive have no effect or will I need to pay for a new lifetime sub?

Many thanks
camden8
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: New Hard Drive

Postby TheMightyDude » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm

camden8 wrote:I have had my Tivo for some years now and I think the hard drive may be on its way out and would like to instal a new one.

Does installing a new drive affect the tivo subscription? ie is all the unit information stored elsewhere and so replacing the drive have no effect or will I need to pay for a new lifetime sub?

Many thanks

Hello Canden8

Well I dont know if its changed this year, but every year or two i replace my hard drive(s) with new ones and restore the Hdd image from a backed up version from a new install point.

And as far as i can see the serial no for the box is stored in hardware on the main board. However all your saved films and updates will be wiped unless you back this up and restore this on a new drive.

All have been fine for me.

But dont quote me on this.
TheMightyDude
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 am

The Mighty Dude is right, the Subscription is key'ed to the Tivo's Main Board, so replacing the drive for a higher capacity unit like the ones here is not a problem.

As soon as you install the new drive and the Tivo dials in for an EPG update, the subscription status will update.

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Return to General