Don't forget Joe Public

General Discussion

Postby irrelevant » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 pm

It probably doesn't help but I've also got a US Series 1 box in the cupboard with a (2005 vintage) OzTivo disc image on it..

But yes, 56K modem is not necessary; they don't talk to each other at that speed, they max at 28.8 I think when talking to each other. Will have a rummage see if I've still got any reasonably modern external ones - most of my modem collection is somewhat more vintage (being of the 1980s era, see Prestel link in sig!).

So much to do, so little time to do it ...!
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Furbag » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 pm

As a non techy programmer type, although I do like my gadgets and can handle a screw driver I do think the below is very valid.

irrelevant wrote:I think the easier we can make things for the non-technical out there, the more likely we are going to be at keeping them. Setting up a new dial-up server might be more work, but will keep a lot more people on-board.

Two questions therefore -

- how many people are there out there actually still running non-networked TiVos? i.e. what's the target audience for this?

- what is the aim of this exercise? To keep *our* TiVos running, or to keep *everybodies* TiVos running?

Question 1) I know three people inc myself running non networked TiVos

Question 2) It would be nice to get as "many" as possible running, I suspect by now most people with a TiVo who hasnt looked on the web regarding the switch off will have done by now. The very few that havent I suspect will be a very few in deed. One really really really nice thing would be if someone could persaude TiVo inc to send a message out saying something to the effect while the service is being switched off and you are not in a VM area then there is a small group who plan to continue the service via {enter web address here}
I know its highly unlikely but I can but dream .............or maybe that could be pulled off :?

Fur

PS well done to all the techies so far, been following it all but havent really got a scooby what your all on about :oops:
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Previous

Return to General