A petition ... could help in mroe than one way?

General Discussion

A petition ... could help in mroe than one way?

Postby LarryDavidJr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 am

I was thinking of putting up a petition (at petitiononline) to see if we can get TiVO to either:

- Change their mind or
- release some information to help with a home brew EPG

I have the wording below. Once spread around the various TiVO forums and Facebook we might be able to get a good amount of signatures.

Let me know if you think this is a good/bad idea and if you think there should be different wording.

Remember, nothing we do now can really hurt, so saying 'I'm not signing it that will never work' is not really constructive!

We, the undersigned, petition those responsible for closing the TiVO uk series 1 EPG update facility to reconsider their decision.

TiVO has a dedicated user base with the old series 1 machine in the UK, and many of them would like to remain loyal, but cannot see themselves paying for the Virgin Media service, even if it is available to them in the first place.

TiVO would stand to earn a great deal of good customer relations by providing at least one of these proposed solutions. By doing nothing TiVO stand to create a lot of bad feeling and ill will towards them and their products, be they old, current or future.

It is based on this that we ask they consider the following:

- That many of us were sold a 'lifetime' subscription which was stated to be 'for the lifetime of the equipment'. Regardless of any clause which allows TiVO to close the service within 30 days, this would appear to be a fair assumption that only TiVO going bankrupt should cause this service to stop.

- The supposed 'alternative' of paying more money for a new TiVO to Virgin Media, a device they would never actually own, plus having to pay for the most expensive TV package to get it, is not going to happen for a lot of people.

- This same alternative is not even available to many users as 49% (approximatley) of the country is not serviced by Virgin Media's cable network.

- Many users (even those with lifetime subs already) may be willing to pay a token amount per month or year to keep the service alive if the cost of the service is a driving factor.

If TiVO cannot be persuaded to reverse this decision, we would ask that the following be implemented:

- A final software upgrade to at least allow end users to easily change settings such as the dial out phone number and update server ip address through the TiVO menu

- A release of any information pertaining to file formats, communication protocols and procedures to the 'home brew' community to enable them to provide a community based service with no direct responsibility or liability to TiVO themselves.
Bog-Standard TiVO S1 - Lifetime Sub - Virgin Media Not Available - Don't want to give any more money to Murdoch
LarryDavidJr
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby LarryDavidJr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 am

Well I went ahead and set it up.

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/retain-or-open-source-the-uk-tivo-series-1-epg-service/2463

Lets try and spread it around if we can. You never know, it might help.

If anyone is a 'known' user on the other TiVO forums it might be helpful if you could post it there.

Cheers.

[edit]Had to re-create petition grrrrr[/edit]
Bog-Standard TiVO S1 - Lifetime Sub - Virgin Media Not Available - Don't want to give any more money to Murdoch
LarryDavidJr
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby rp689 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 am

signed it. I disappeared after the first sig but is available again now.
rp689
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby SaveTarquin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Signed, Facebook link shared, Tweeted and Stumbled.
SaveTarquin
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Alek » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:27 pm

LarryDavidJr wrote:Well I went ahead and set it up.

Have you noticed who is featured by google ads just below the petition

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby spitfires » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm

SaveTarquin wrote:Signed, Facebooked, Tweeted and Stumbled.

Sounds like you ought to see a doctor with that list of illnesses! ;)

(Me: I may be techy but I got no time for this social networking nonsense)
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby LarryDavidJr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Alek wrote:
LarryDavidJr wrote:Well I went ahead and set it up.

Have you noticed who is featured by google ads just below the petition

Alek

Well it's Sainsburys laptops on my screen, but I'm assuming then that you get Virgin Media?
LarryDavidJr
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Furbag » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

spitfires wrote:

Afriad I'm in agreement there, todate I've never seen anything come of these sorts of petition things I'm afraid.
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby LarryDavidJr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 am

Furbag wrote:
spitfires wrote:

Afriad I'm in agreement there, todate I've never seen anything come of these sorts of petition things I'm afraid.

I beg to differ

http://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange
LarryDavidJr
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Furbag » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:42 pm

LarryDavidJr wrote:
Furbag wrote:
spitfires wrote:

I beg to differ

http://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange

Afraid I've never heard of them, I also asked several friends, again they have never heard of them or there so called "Campaigns" yes we've heard about the issues but not what 38degrees have ever done about them.
Good on them for trying BUT my concern with them is the fact they appear to be a "Limited" company :? :!:

Anyhow this is a TiVo forum not a place for discussing political stuff :wink: we just want our TiVos to continue to work past 1st June 8)
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby LarryDavidJr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I was referring to the forestry sellof, but the link didn't actually go right to it. Oops.

I also want my TiVo to work past 1st June, which is the point of trying to get them to take notice.
LarryDavidJr
Almost there...
Almost there...

Return to General