Would you expect this TiVo to still work?

General Discussion

Would you expect this TiVo to still work?

Postby Countryman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi guys

Based on this listing on eBay, if you bought this TiVo, would you expect that it could still download the EPG (well, at least until June 1st!).

TIA
Countryman
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: Would you expect this TiVo to still work?

Postby irrelevant » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Don't count on it. Status 3 relies on the owner being paid up.

My main one still shows status 3, but that's because it was disconnected before I cancelled (a month before they stopped charging .. sigh ..) If the cachecard would connected to my LAN, I expect it'd revert to "Account closed" on the first DC..
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Countryman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Ah but in order for that to happen, the owner needs to be TiVo savvy and not log in once they had cancelled their account so that they would maintain Status 3 on their TiVo. Thus maintaining the pretence that their TiVo was still OK to download. Ie a deliberate act of misleading.
Countryman
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby steveroe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 pm

All the picture proves is that there was an active monthly sub on 5th December 2010 - it could have been cancelled subsequently (although not sure why you would as they aren't being billed anymore...)
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Countryman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 am

I hear what you're saying and like you I am only too aware of the TiVo statuses. I think that I may have phrased the original question badly.

If one saw a TiVo listed on eBay and there was no status screen shown then one would ask the question of the seller what the status was in case it was account closed.

If, on the other hand, there was this status screen and the listing said that it was in good working order then I would have thought that a reasonable assumption would be that the thing was still Account in Good Standing. Or perhaps I am too trusting.
Countryman
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby spitfires » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 am

Based on that picture I would expect the unit to be status "3" and usable until 1st June. I think the man on the Clapham Omnibus would agree.

The only way it wouldn't be so is if he closed his account sometime before October - but there is no mention in the listing of the unit having been "in storage" or "unused".

It is reasonable therefore to assume the account is what he says - "in Good Standing". He is clearly selling it as so!
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby healeydave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Just an FYI, I have come across a lot of boxes over the years that have reported "Account in good standing" like a pay monthly sub but have in actual fact been lifetime's.

I had one in my bedroom that was that status, originally just pulled from my stock pile but worked for years!
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Countryman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Unfortunately when I bought this and turned it on, the status turned out to be 8- Account Closed.
Countryman
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby healeydave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

strange, when you consider Tivo have not been charging people in the last few months, and the June cut-off, you would think there would be no reason to close an account now anyway.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby spitfires » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I suspect it's purely automatic. As suggested above by irrelevant, I think what happens is that someone stops paying the TAM but doesn't necessarily ring Cust Svces to close the account. If you switch the box on it will still show status "3". However, the next time the box dials-in, the mothership says "oi you've not paid" and tells the box to go to status "8".

Just my guess but could be plausible?
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby healeydave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Yes but the last dial in date is Dec and TiVo stopped taking money from TAMs before then.
So I don't know what would trigger an account closed now other than someone specifically calling in and cancelling their account which is kinda pointless now anyway. However, I think some customers haven't even realised they are not paying anymore and may explain why a user might still call in to cancel, especially if they have upgraded to VM.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby steveroe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 pm

It may raise a question (sorry to take this off topic) about what Monthly subbed Tivos will do when they dial in to the original service after 1st June, will they change to status 8?

Will the replacement EPG be able to reactivate these?
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby spitfires » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 am

healeydave wrote:Yes but the last dial in date is Dec

He he *I* made that mistake at first as well ;) That's actually "Today's Date" showing in the pic not date of Last Call Attempt

Obviously he reckoned the service was going t*ts-up after he heard they stopped taking money, got his old box out of the cupboard and tried to flog it in December - probably for waay too much money - and the price has nose-dived ever since. Hence he switched it on but didn't do a daily call.

As soon as @Countryman@ did one then it went to status 8.

steveroe wrote:what Monthly subbed Tivos will do when they dial in to the original service after 1st June, will they change to status 8?
If you dial in to TiVo then yes.

steveroe wrote:Will the replacement EPG be able to reactivate these?
Yes.
:)
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General