Net access to the new EPG??

General Discussion

Re: Net access to the new EPG??

Postby irrelevant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:28 pm

spitfires wrote:Good thinking on forcing the s/w update - sneaky! :lol:

Is there a native sniffer anywhere (i.e. one that runs on the TiVo)?

Not that I am aware of, but it might be possible to cross-compile something. I just use an old laptop running ethereal connected to a hub (not a switch) along with the tivo.

Rob
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby spitfires » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Ah yes that would do it - I think I've still got my old hub in one of the "spares" boxes somewhere....
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby healeydave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Unzip and copy attachment to the TiVo.
    Make sure the files 255 , 255a , setdbversion255.tcl & setdbversion255a.tcl are executable (e.g. chmod +x {filename} )
    Run relevant files to change from 255 to 255a or visa-versa.

Now since we are only trying to fool Tivo into there being an OS mismatch, you probably only need to run the setdbversion file, especially for you irrelevant as you play with teletext and hence don't really want to install the teletext disabling pxmpegdecode.o file.
Having said that, it not going to matter if you install the teletext disabling pxmpegdecode.o file because as soon as the tivo reboots, its going to re-install 255 back over what it thought was 2.5.5a and hence repair the pxmpegdecode.o file back to standard anyway!

By the way, one last thing to remember, when Tivo sends an OS update (be it 2.5.5 or 2.5.5a), it contains the original Tivo Kernel (which is not lba48 compatible), so if your HDD is larger than 127Gb, your swapfile will be invalid and your dial-up connections will only work once after a reboot and fail for consequent dials.
I recommend doing these tests on an old 40gb Tivo drive (or similar) to save you having to keep re-installing the Big Disk (vmlinux.px) kernel via the TPIP tool.
Attachments
Change_SW_Version.zip
(85.5 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby spitfires » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks Dave - all understood. :)
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby irrelevant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Yep thanks. Will try and make some time over the next day or so to sort out my workspace and get to it..!

Just need to find a disc image to reload the spare box, install tivonet drivers, etc. :-)
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby healeydave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm

This is an old image (for the official tivo service, good til 1st June) for those of you still needing the original images for testing, project work etc.
This image is 286Mb and will restore to any size drive from the standard 40Gb upwards.

fview255.bak (286Mb)

To restore this image to a 40Gb drive, use the following MFSTool command:

Code: Select all
mfstool restore -zi /mnt/dos/fview255.bak /dev/hdc

{assuming the image in stored and mounted on a dos partition at "/mnt/dos" and that the destination drive is connected to the Secondary IDE controller on the Master Connector}

If your restoring to a drive larger than 40Gb, you can use the usual "-xzpi" switch to expand the partitions and the "-s xxx" switch to create a new swap partition.
Obviously replace xxx on the last switch with a reasonable swap for the drive size (e.g. 400 would be plenty for a 500Gb). -r4 would probably be required for a drive like that too.

e.g:

Code: Select all
mfstool restore -xzpi -r4 -s400 /mnt/dos/fview255.bak /dev/hdc
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby ramtec » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 pm

why has the image been removed?
ramtec
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby AMc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Thinking out loud - I remember using a kickstart code to force a reinstallation of the Tivo OS (complete with LBA being knocked out) after a /var/hack problem caused a reboot loop.
Does that offer any advantage over pretending to be a new sw version - I assume it forces the installation of whatever is offered?

I remember than checking versions as the 2.5.5 vs. 2.5.5a caused problems if the server believed the version installed was old and the Tivo thought it was new?
AMc
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Again, another benefit, the new server will never push out a version of os with an outdated kernel, breaking swap and causing dial-in failures.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby irrelevant » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Dave, any chance of reposting that disc image? I waited before downloading because of your impending bandwidth upgrade, so missed it! I've tried restoring an old image I had saved off to CDROM, but that needed a bigger disc than the 40GB drives in the TiVoNet box that wouldn't boot.. (despite the image being labelled a non-LBA48 version..)

Edit: Schoolboy error - B*****y locked drives.. I can only blame not having to do this for about six years.. now to find something to run qunlock.exe on..

On the plus side, I fixed my cachecard issue - tried a new PSU in the box, and the cachecard fired up, so stuck the DVM on the original PSU and it was showing 5.72V on the 5V line (and over 13V on the 12V) so tweaked it down to about 5.1V, at which point things started working again. Well almost; I still have no sound being recorded. (Fine on AUX, nowt on Live TV.) So I guess that motherboard really is toast.

Rob
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby healeydave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Image restored Rob.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Brother52 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:33 pm

healeydave wrote:Image restored Rob.

I've noticed something a little odd using that image - when going to the "Search By Title" page to type in a programme name, the "keyboard" and programme list don't appear until you move the cursor (off the currently invisible "A"), and the black breakout box around the typed name is always missing...
Brother52
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes. The original upgrade from 1.2 (I think) to 2.5.5 coincided with Sky ditching their selling of TiVo and moving to support only. The "As recommended by Sky Digital" from the background clouds videos of as many screens as possible was removed. For many screens, 2.5.5 uses videos that were already in MFS that didn't have the text in the background (either luck, or foresight by TiVo!). But the title selection screen didn't have an alternative there so the 2.5.5 software upgrade included a brand new video (at /Resource/VideoClip/PickByNameNonSky0.mpv) which was inserted into MFS as part of the upgrade. The FSID of the new background video was a random high number FSID unlike the low FSID numbers of a virgin tivo's videos, sounds and icons all stored in MFS.

(Aside: the TiVo employee who prepared the replacement video did a poor job unfortunately! It flickers horribly - interlace twitter - due to the horizonal lines being too thin. This smacks of it not being tested on a 50Hz PAL TV, but only a computer monitor in California. The video it replaced didn't flicker at all. Same applies to the 2.5.5 tivo's selection bar which I replaced on mine with new graphics).

Then separately, mfstools was being developed. UK users started taking backups of 2.5.5 to upgrade their discs with and then suddenly noticed that the background video of this particular screen was missing from the backup image. This was because the default mfsbackup command only saves resources from MFS with very low FSID, assuming everything else was a recording.

The FAQs and instructions pages were all very quickly amended (within days IIRC) to tell UK users to use the "-l 32" flag too which tells it to save ALL recordings <32MB as part of the backup. This ensures that the Ouija board video is included and not missed out.

So if you've got an image from the net with that screen missing you've been very unlucky, as it was taken from the short period before people realised how to stop that video being missed out.

ps. The Sky text was left in one place - at the end of the startup video (/Resource/VideoClip/LongOpen.mpv) because it was considered that to replace two videos would mean the 2.5.5 upgrade would be too big a download weighed against how often it is seen. I think LongOpen is 4 times the size.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby healeydave » Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 pm

I'll check the original image to see if the problem existed before I made any modifications, but I know for sure I used the "l 32" command when I created the altepg3.bak image.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby mrtickle » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I can get the mov out of my image if it's any help and someone writes a script to do it. I've got a script to turn the startup mov into a recording in Now Playing, but I've never managed to extract it from there either with tytool or msftp.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General