CacheCard/TurboNet card Requirements

General Discussion

Re: CacheCard/TurboNet card Requirements

Postby Inner Zone » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm

mjevans wrote:I have one tivo with a cachecard fitted which I presume doesn't have a network connection [it's been 3 years since I fitted it].

Cachecard has an Ethernet socket as it is primarily a network card with a option of fitting memory .
6021, WD 500Gb SATA

6022, WD 80Gb

6021, Quantum 40Gb
Inner Zone
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mjevans » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:26 pm

spitfires wrote:
mjevans wrote:
However, you may choose to get a network card to take advantage of the wonderful world of TivoWeb ;) and/or replace a 10 year old disc (they had an expected service life of 3 years so you're on borrowed time now!!)

They've all been replaced already. One has a 500 and the 2 others have 120s which I'd like to replace with bigger.
mjevans
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mjevans » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Inner Zone wrote:
mjevans wrote:I have one tivo with a cachecard fitted which I presume doesn't have a network connection [it's been 3 years since I fitted it].

Cachecard has an Ethernet socket as it is primarily a network card with a option of fitting memory .

Yes, I'm now recalling the fitting instructions mentioning something about having to find an exit route from the case for the cable. Thanks.
mjevans
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby spitfires » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 am

mjevans wrote:One has a 500 and the 2 others have 120s which I'd like to replace with bigger.

No problem - Mike, Dave and others will be offering replacement bigger discs pre-configured for the new epg.
(Available after 31st May).
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby healeydave » Sat May 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: TurboNets, here is where we are at.

John from NZ had a batch of cards left over from the NZ project (and then Tivo went and opened up an official service) :-)
Knowing there would be a fresh impetus over here, I contacted John to get a price for bringing them over to the UK.
I figured he'd be relieved with our new project, rather than be stuck with a load of cards from his last batch run :-)

Anyway, John quoted me NZ$78.52 including shipping and PayPal fees (£37.87) for one off quantities.
Hence my £40-45 estimate earlier in the thread.

John did quote other price breaks, but I can't justify the outlay to buy in bulk what with the potential import duty and taxes, I'd risk making a loss at the £40-45 region!

As it happens, John is advertising one off cards on ebay for NZ$62.40 including shipping (less than I was quoted) :-(
In fact, John's one off unit price on ebay (NZ$45) is 11 cents less than I was quoted for buying 50 cards after fee's, so I think its probably best I stay out of the equation and let you guy's buy them direct :shock:
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby healeydave » Sat May 07, 2011 6:00 pm

mjevans wrote:Ideally I'd like cards that have the cache + network like those on the Tivoland site at £89. Are these still available?

Yes, I still have these in stock.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby millimole » Sun May 08, 2011 2:28 pm

spitfires wrote:
mjevans wrote:One has a 500 and the 2 others have 120s which I'd like to replace with bigger.

No problem - Mike, Dave and others will be offering replacement bigger discs pre-configured for the new epg.
(Available after 31st May).

So - being dense, as I have a 'bog standard' Tivo with only dial up - but wanting to take advantage of the efficiencies of the networked route - what is my best course of action?
Should I order a NZ card, or wait until the new preconfigured discs are available and assume that a card with ethernet will be available at the same time from the same source?
AltEPG Tivo + 50gb drive & cachecard
"Riding my Hetchins since 1971"
millimole
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Sun May 08, 2011 2:42 pm

From a tivoland point of view, I will try to keep stock of most items, but I don't have any TurboNet cards at the moment, just cachecards.
Thats not a logistical issue either, I simply stopped stocking TurboNets when the Cachecard was released several years ago and I helped Nick @ Silicondust out with the early version exchange program.

I may start selling TurboNets again but currently John's Terbonet cards direct from New Zealand are the cheapest option to get a networked solution.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby JohnMcKirdy » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 am

healeydave wrote:As it happens, John is advertising one off cards on ebay for NZ$62.40 including shipping (less than I was quoted) :-(
In fact, John's one off unit price on ebay (NZ$45) is 11 cents less than I was quoted for buying 50 cards after fee's, so I think its probably best I stay out of the equation and let you guy's buy them direct :shock:

I think you'll find I am selling them for US$62.40 on Ebay ~= NZ$85
As Dave mentioned 1 card is NZ$79 including shipping if you buy direct. PM me if interested.

Having them locally manufactured was quite expensive, in retrospect I think I should have outsourced to China.

EDIT:
In fact I have just revised the Ebay price to US$67.40 (US$52 + postage&fees) to reflect the high NZ-US exchange rate.
If only it were possible to list in New Zealand dollars.
Contact me to buy TurboNZet TiVo network cards.
TiVo S1 on New Zealand community server and TiVoHD on offical HybridTV service.
JohnMcKirdy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mesaka » Tue May 10, 2011 7:45 am

I'm slightly confused. I'm not based in the UK but use a UK TiVo along with a $ky box to get my fix of TV from home. Up to June 1st I just download the listings via my cachecard / internet connection. However, if I have understood correctly the listings will now need to be updated using a phone line only? Is that correct? If so will it be a "normal" number (that I can call from abroad) or will it be a premium one? If the latter then i guess I will not have access to it as normally premium rate numbers are restricted to a single country?
mesaka
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby healeydave » Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 am

mesaka wrote:However, if I have understood correctly the listings will now need to be updated using a phone line only? Is that correct?

No, absolutely not. Supporting dial-up only users comes with its own problems and extra provisioning which we are trying to do just to help out those that don't have their tivo's networked!

Having a network card is the preferred solution on the whole and all you will need is your system tweaked to point to the new AltEPG server.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby irrelevant » Tue May 10, 2011 8:19 am

mesaka wrote:I'm slightly confused. I'm not based in the UK but use a UK TiVo along with a $ky box to get my fix of TV from home. Up to June 1st I just download the listings via my cachecard / internet connection. However, if I have understood correctly the listings will now need to be updated using a phone line only? Is that correct? If so will it be a "normal" number (that I can call from abroad) or will it be a premium one? If the latter then i guess I will not have access to it as normally premium rate numbers are restricted to a single country?

No; if you are using a network card then you will be able to continue to use that, indeed, that's the best way to do it! It is highly likely that at the very least you will need to run a script on the tivo to change the settings, but that's comparatively easy to do on a networked box!
irrelevant
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby mesaka » Tue May 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks, that is a great relief to me. When I 1st had my TiVo I had to dial up and, 9 years ago, that was a very expensive daily call!
mesaka
Almost there...
Almost there...

Previous

Return to General