What I would like to do

General Discussion

What I would like to do

Postby Alek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:38 am

Once the new epg is up and running, I would like to network my two tivos so that one is on freesat and the other on freeview, yes I do have some scots blood in me. :D

Setting them up for no conflicts and never record the same movie twice unless instructed.

Does that seem feasible

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: What I would like to do

Postby spitfires » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am

Well I'm assuming you don't want them to run independent of each other? I mean you want tivo 1 to be the "master" and control tivo 2, rather than having 2 separate tivos + 2 connections to your tele, etc.?

Presumably this is because you don't want to downgrade the freeview signal by converting it to the coax input on the tivo? (I run freesat and freeview together, but the freeview is fed into the coax connector on my sole tivo).

Not sure this has been done like you want - a good starting place might be Stuart's "Conflict Resolve" module (link)
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:53 pm

I am beginning to feel I am a parasite .. sucking in info but never providing any ..

I am trying to do as Spitfire, above .. (Sky on one input & Freeview on the other) but can't get TiVo to see the Freeview input ..

I have a cheap scart-plug-freeview receiver which I feed into a scart-to-analogue modulator thingy, outputting to channel 21 .. (that is the channel TiVo appears to expect its input on (One of the Guided set up screeens)

I know the scart/co-ax gubbins is working because I can put the co-ax lead to the TV tuned to channel 21, and that works fine ..

but on the set-up choose code page, it says it is not getting a signal, and if I key a freeview channel the tv shows TiVos normal info screen for that channel, but then says no input received.

(Using Altepg 1.0d)
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Further reading on the forum suggests that RF co-ax input is not supported by altEPG ..

If that is so, how are you doing it, Spitfires, please ..
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm

bandsp wrote:Further reading on the forum suggests that RF co-ax input is not supported by altEPG ..

That doesn't sound right to me at all, on the face of it - need more details. Please could you link to whatever says that?

The recording inputs can always be changed, even if it's done manually. Eg for donkeys years we've had the dual Sky radio lineup: you set up the 'radio' lineup on the RF input during Guided Setup, and when it's all done you can (optionally) run a tiny script to change the connect for that lineup from RF to Aux. Then they both share the Aux input and get stereo sound.

[Edit] Right, the problem would be in terms of Headends and lineups on the server side, not inputs on the tivo side. It would seem feasible to allow a new dual Freesat + Freeview lineup to be added on the server side, just like the Sky + Freeview lineup, unless I'm missing something.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks Mrtickle .. most of that is way above my head .. would also say that although I say I am using Freeview on the secondary input, the listing of channels marks them all as 'CABxx'.

I am not up to speed on putting URL's etc onto the forum .. but here is a copy/paste of the relevant post from the 'Great News' Thread ..

I had wondered if it was a fault in my TiVo, but I have tried on the spare, and again, although I am getting analogue rf output on the cable from the freeview box, TiVo just does not see it.

Re: Great News!
by Pete77 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:32 am

jet wrote:
Does the fact that analogue RF channels are no longer received mean that it's not possible to get an input from a set top box via RF? I currently have Sky though scart and freeview though the aerial - I've tried to set this up with altepg but no signal is received from the freeview box

Neither the internal Tivo RF analogue program source or dual tuner program source options (also using the RF input for the secondary source) are currently supported by the AltEPG project sadly.

The Internal tuner is not supported on the basis that all RF broadcasts on Channels 21 to 69 will have been switched off by April 2012.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 pm

I have just found another relevant thread ..

Fix for dual sources via RF input (for AltEPG pre v0.8 )

I note that this is for pre v0.8..

I am, I think, on the latest (1.0d is it?) .. has the fix not been carried forward?

or is it something else .. I have looked at the named file and the quoted lines don't appear to be in it.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 am

Ok, well those are old posts - please bear in mind pete77 was a non-technical loquacious poster who could often be mistaken. To insert a link, use the URL button.
Also, remember the AltEPG TiVo disc image, which some people who were re-imaging have used is totally separate from our TiVo Service (on the AltEPG server) which works with all UK series1 tivos. It's the combination of lineups offered we're talking about here but please bear in mind it may be technically possible, yet not feasible, for us to offer more. In many ways it was a relief to ditch the analogue lineups!

I've just spotted that Spitfire's post that you cite was dated April 2011; he could easily have been talking about the Tribune service which was still running at the time :oops: and not ours. We didn't initially have the dual lineup with Sky Radio on the 2nd RF input - that was added later.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 am

Right, thanks..

I guess that boils down to.. TiVo now won't accept 1 input on scart and another, modulated, on the rf in ..

I'll go on putting the output of my Freeview box onto the TiVo VCR input .. it does have limited record facilities so all is not lost

Cheers
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby excoriated » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm

bandsp wrote:I guess that boils down to.. TiVo now won't accept 1 input on scart and another, modulated, on the rf in ..
Yes it will :D

Yes I still run two input sources:
- Sky free in on SCART
- Freeview in on RF (using an old VCR to convert FV box's scart to rf)

Obviously you must make sure the output channel of the modulator and the input channel on TiVo RF match. On some cheap modulators this can't be altered and you need to hunt around to find out which channel they output on (it's not always 21!).

If you have SCART connected (for primary input) then pressing Aux on TiVo remote will show the aerial TV picture (irrespective of whether you've run Guided Setup or not) so you can check whether the connections are correct.

The most important thing is to select the correct option during Guided Setup. You need to make sure you select "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial" and NOT "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

They look very similar but the second is a 'dual source' setup and not what you want!

This might seem wrong but just remember that as far as the TiVo is concerned it is seeing an analogue *aerial* connection - it knows nothing (and doesn't care) about the digital freeview box on the other side of the modulator.

(Don't worry you will still get full AltEPG guide data for Freeview.)

bandsp wrote:the listing of channels marks them all as 'CABxx'.

Ah right, in which case you have definitely selected a 'dual source' digital line-up: re-do Guided Setup and select "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"
excoriated
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby bandsp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Doesn't seem to work for me ..

selected Aerial + Digi Cable or Terrestrial ..

only channels offered are marked 'Cable' even though selected Freeview ..

Going back to my previous set-up ..

May put Freeview into my spare TiVo

Thanks any way
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

bandsp wrote:Doesn't seem to work for me ..

selected Aerial + Digi Cable or Terrestrial ..

only channels offered are marked 'Cable' even though selected Freeview ..

TiVo only has a limited set of "types" on the Channels You Receive screen, which it labels as "(sat)" or "(cab)" or "(ant)" (from memory). This is nothing whatsoever to do with what kind of TV service is being received, it's just an alternative label to "aux in" or "rf in".

Again, going back to the Sky Radio dual lineup which I have. It lists:
Code: Select all
101 (sat) BBC1WM BBC1 (West Midlands)
101 (cab) BBCR1 BBC Radio 1

This does NOT mean TiVo thinks Radio 1 is a cable channel, or the 2nd input is coming from a cable set-top-box! It's a legacy of the American origins of the system; they had no concept of Freeview at the time, so Freeview, being something that isn't Satellite, got put into the "cab" category. It's been this way on UK TiVos since the start (over 12 years)...

Going back to my previous set-up ..

:roll: Please can't you just wait, especially if you have a spare tivo?! People are trying to help you here, and perhaps behind the scenes too.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby mrtickle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am

excoriated wrote:
bandsp wrote:I guess that boils down to.. TiVo now won't accept 1 input on scart and another, modulated, on the rf in ..
Yes it will :D

Yes I still run two input sources:
- Sky free in on SCART
- Freeview in on RF (using an old VCR to convert FV box's scart to rf)

Obviously you must make sure the output channel of the modulator and the input channel on TiVo RF match. On some cheap modulators this can't be altered and you need to hunt around to find out which channel they output on (it's not always 21!).

If you have SCART connected (for primary input) then pressing Aux on TiVo remote will show the aerial TV picture (irrespective of whether you've run Guided Setup or not) so you can check whether the connections are correct.

The most important thing is to select the correct option during Guided Setup. You need to make sure you select "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial" and NOT "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

They look very similar but the second is a 'dual source' setup and not what you want!

This might seem wrong but just remember that as far as the TiVo is concerned it is seeing an analogue *aerial* connection - it knows nothing (and doesn't care) about the digital freeview box on the other side of the modulator.

(Don't worry you will still get full AltEPG guide data for Freeview.)

bandsp wrote:the listing of channels marks them all as 'CABxx'.

Ah right, in which case you have definitely selected a 'dual source' digital line-up: re-do Guided Setup and select "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

No he said he DOES want a dual lineup. Just like yours.
bandsp wrote:I am trying to do as Spitfire, above .. (Sky on one input & Freeview on the other)

The whole reason that TiVo's GS option says
Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial
and not, as it used to say,
Digital Satellite + Digital Cable

is to remind users that the 2nd lineup in a dual lineup setup can be Freevew.

However rather than wasting a lot of time with all the lineups we should establish whether or not the IR codes work, and which make/model is being used in the IR setup, before anything else. So let's start with the make/model of the Freeview device.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby bandsp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

The last thing I want to do is stir things up ..

and I don't want to divert effort from important areas just to please an old fool

When I said going back to previous set up, I meant just that .. after trying what 'excoriated' suggested, which gave me a 'Green Screen' once.

I had tried using the dual set up .. Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Terrestrial (Must say here, it is not clear which box should be connected to which of TiVo's inputs)

...... with Sky on the Scart Aux input and Freeview (Modulated RF) on the Aerial connection.

Sky worked perfectly, so I assumed that that is what was intended.

During set up for the Freeview box 'selecting the code' .. Tivo reports 'no signal' .. but I know that the signal is presented to the aerial input on the channel I have told TiVo to use (Normally 21, though I have tried others .. my scart to Rf adapter allows selection of any channel 21 to 69) .. I have tried on the spare TiVo, in case there was a fault in the main TiVo, with the same result .

If it is that the altEPG is not set to recieve from the Aerial analogue RF input, fair enough .. I can cope with my existing arrangement whereby I feed freeview into the VCR scart .. it has limited recording abilities .. and switch to it with the button on the peanut, (it doesn't seem to have the ability to auto kick the TiVo to VCR passthrough)

The Freeview box is non supported, but I have captured the codes as per instructions in http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=514, but have not totally completed the finally steps.
Last edited by bandsp on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby excoriated » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 am

mrtickle wrote:The whole reason that TiVo's GS option says Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial
and not, as it used to say, Digital Satellite + Digital Cable

Perhaps you're right - it always used to be that you selected "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial" but according to the FAQ you now select "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial".

Code: Select all
Q: Can I use Freeview + Sky at the same time?
A: Yes you can - during Guided Setup select the option for "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial" and then choose either Freeview or Virgin + Sky or Freesat
http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=670#A124

It was over 18 months ago, but I don't remember TiVo asking what channel to use for the freeview-on-aerial INPUT but mine is on channel 22.

bandsp wrote:Doesn't seem to work for me ..

Also dare I say it, check your modulator is working. Most of the sub-£25 ones are c*ap, which is why I resorted to using an old vcr as my modulator. Oh wait you said you checked that.

You could try setting up JUST freeview-via-aerial (i.e. single source, no sky) and prove that your connections/modulator/ir codes/etc works first. It won't take long to do a Guided Setup for Freeview (i.e. not as long as with Sky or Freesat channels).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ost8589686

I can assure you that Freeview (via a modulator) + Sky certainly works with Altepg (and with full Guide Listings). I and several others here use it every day.
excoriated
Almost there...
Almost there...

Next

Return to General