Turbo Network Card

General Discussion

Turbo Network Card

Postby steamydave » Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi,

Many moons ago I bought a Tivo S1, and paid the £10 a month there after - for about 8/9 years?! So I have invested quite a bit in tivo over the years. I also bought replacement handsets, a power supply and a turbo network card - just in case.

I didn't ever get to install the Turbo card, and I'm now wondering if it would be a good time to do so with the possibility of the alternate EPG looming (thanks everyone involved with that).

If so, could any one point me to any instructions on how to set the network card up - my instructions now long lost, and remind me if I need to add memory to the memory slot, or was that optional?

Many thanks

Dave
steamydave
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Turbo Network Card

Postby johnscott99 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 am

I'm in a similar position. I have a "terbonet" card in the loft in a padded bag. No instructions. no cd.
johnscott99
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby d0ugmac1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:03 pm

I designed the Terbonet clone card (just setting the credibility here :) )

The driver software was built into the S1 software load (which is where I got the source code to reverse with) so you don't need any CD to get basic connectivity and to use the ,#401 backdoor to enable the network card. You may want to add the networking utilities by 'hacking' your TiVo so you have access to ftp, telnet, TivoWEB, etc. but that's another story (maybe they'll be included in the altepg image?). Installing it should be as easy as removing the case, slipping the card onto the plated header, attaching a network cable and feeding the end back out of the box. Jim Main did a nice photoshoot when he was distributing Terbonets in the UK (attached).

You don't need extra memory for the basic network card. You could upgrade the mainboard memory to make a loaded TiVo respond faster via the UI, but those chips are now impossible to find, and they were a PITA to install by hand too. The CacheCard (Turbonet's big brother) would take a DIMM of up to 512MB if I recall.

Take standard electronic precautions, don't install the card on a dry day in shag carpeted room! Keep yourself grounded, don't work with the cover off and the plug in, don't touch electrical contacts of the main board, nor the network card.

FYI This file was archived here: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/terbonet/files/

D.

PS you don't have to get as fancy with the network jack, I used to just run my cable out a cooling hole near the fan (yes I had to recrimp a new connector). Tin snips will work in a pinch...if you are in a hurry...but watch for metal filings left inside!
Attachments
Terbonet Tivo network card hardware installation guide.pdf.zip
Board wouldn't take PDF, so just unzip this and then use Acrobat Reader/Preview/??? to view.
(150.75 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
d0ugmac1
CA Team
CA Team

Postby steamydave » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks for these instructions.

I'll have a go on Sunday.

Many thanks

Dave
steamydave
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby JohnMcKirdy » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 am

d0ugmac1 wrote:I designed the Terbonet clone card (just setting the credibility here :) )

And my TurboNZet card is in turn based on Doug's card. (Hi Doug!)
Contact me to buy TurboNZet TiVo network cards.
TiVo S1 on New Zealand community server and TiVoHD on offical HybridTV service.
JohnMcKirdy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby poppadum » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

d0ugmac1 wrote:I used to just run my cable out a cooling hole near the fan (yes I had to recrimp a new connector). Tin snips will work in a pinch...if you are in a hurry...but watch for metal filings left inside!

With UK Thomson Tivos you can usually poke the network cable through the hole next to the upper left corner of the fan (as you look at it from the front of your Tivo) with the connector still attached. If you want to put the lid back on fully, you need to either bend or snip off the tab with the centre screw hole.
2011-05-10 14.38.48.jpg
2011-05-10 14.38.48.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 4766 times

2011-05-10 14.39.42.jpg
2011-05-10 14.39.42.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
poppadum
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby JohnMcKirdy » Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 pm

If you poke it through the hole on the other side of the fan you don't have to loose a screw either.
Contact me to buy TurboNZet TiVo network cards.
TiVo S1 on New Zealand community server and TiVoHD on offical HybridTV service.
JohnMcKirdy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Wed May 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Just an fyi, my preferred route is the hole beneath the fan, you can drop the fan out by just bending the 2 lugs apart at the top of the fan.
A crimped RJ45 fly lead will fit through the hole as can be seen in the picture. The Fan will sit back in fine with the cable beneath it.
Then the cable routes nicely along the floor of the tivo (under the power supply cables going to the main board) and round to the NIC on the edge card connector.

IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg (140.72 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Alek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:50 pm

I put one card onto a altepg machine. Works no probs.

I put one onto a standard tivo and put in the ,# bit but it still uses the phoneline to phone home.

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Olly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:20 pm

The ,#401 trick does not work with UK Tivos I believe. You need to install the appropriate drivers which I guess are the same as the Turbonet ones.
Olly
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Alek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Where does "one" get said drivers and associated info.?

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:52 pm

The AltEPG disk image includes drivers.
Ash
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Alek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Ash wrote:The AltEPG disk image includes drivers.

Yes but I wouldn't know which ones to change.

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby IBP » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 pm

The 9th Tee Turbo net drivers are here

http://forum.technicalpeak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Alek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I downloaded and burned the iso, it seemed straight forward except when I try to boot to it I get an error. "only one processor found"

Alek
Alek
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Next

Return to General