Why So Many New Registrations?!!

General Discussion

Why So Many New Registrations?!!

Postby ByTheCringe » Fri May 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello, new forum member here. Just registered, thinking that I needed to, in order to get into the forum thread about how to get the new alternative EPG. Looking at the members list, and the joining dates of members, I'm not the only one. So that's the thread title answered then!

Have had a TiVo for ten years, and was as shocked as everyone else to hear of the EPG withdrawal. What you techy guys are doing is nothing short of brilliant, and I will be joining the queue for the alternative arrangements. On April 1st., my TiVo partially broke. All input ability has gone. Noting the date, at first I cursed TiVo for being two months early with their nasty plans. But alas, it's just my box at fault. But I still have my stored programmes on disk and, much more important, all the EPG info coming in. I have a Sky+ HD box now, but I go to TiVo for info on programmes coming up in 3 weeks, info on when the Yesterday channel is repeating something, etc. And of course the Wishlist. This is the irreplaceable side of TiVo, and it will be worth the cost of the new service to maintain this, even if the recording side doesn't get fixed or replaced with a new box. Many thanks to everyone working away to make this possible. I have heard that the new Virgin TiVo service is very expensive, and I wouldn't pay for that, even if I was on cable.

One thing I would like to know: On May 31st., should we all turn off our TiVo's to avoid a final software update that might make it difficult to get the alternative EPG service? Or, might a final update be essential? Is someone asking about their plans?
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Why So Many New Registrations?!!

Postby Rondy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I signed up today because like many people here, I was ignoring all the messages from VM advising me that I could upgrade, as I have no cable access in my street anyway. Tonight I noticed that the message had changed and that the service was being discontinued. Outrage ensued, followed by much Googling, then singing of the petition, then eventually finding myself here with a great feeling of hope that we might be able to keep the S1Tivo after all.

I've had this thing for ten years, on a lifetime subscription, and I can honestly say it's among the top 5 pieces of consumer gear that I've ever bought. I'm on my third hard disk in ten years, but considering it's left on 24/7, it's probably been the most reliable piece of consumer electronics I've ever had!

Looking forward to giving two fingers up to VM.
Rondy
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby ByTheCringe » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am

ByTheCringe wrote:One thing I would like to know: On May 31st., should we all turn off our TiVo's to avoid a final software update that might make it difficult to get the alternative EPG service? Or, might a final update be essential? Is someone asking about their plans?

This was never answered, and time is now very short. Could a member of the AltEPG team please let us know if there is any information about this?
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Its never really been answered anywhere, Dave "hinted" that "something" would happen but no ones said if its good to leave it connected or not :|

After seeing a thread where someones TiVo changed from life time to evaluation mode I got the jitters and have pulled the dial up out for now, I've got enough EPG for a couple of weeks.

Theres all kinds of rumours, but which is best I dont know, might be I've done the wrong thing :? it would be good to know which is best, then again it migth actually be the case that no one knows for sure whats going to happen ??

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby afrokiwi » Mon May 30, 2011 4:34 pm

well we will know in less than 2 days ...
afrokiwi
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby IBP » Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Furbag wrote:After seeing a thread where someones TiVo changed from life time to evaluation mode I got the jitters and have pulled the dial up out for now, I've got enough EPG for a couple of weeks.
Switching to Evaluation mode shouldn't make any difference - it works the same as a lifetime account. If tivo can get rid of the 'no data' nag screens then it will work as a manual recorder. We will know for sure very soon...
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General