Programme Broadcast Date

General Discussion

Programme Broadcast Date

Postby ByTheCringe » Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 am

Apologies if this has been dealt with.

In the TiVo EPG system that we are about to lose, almost every programme description has the year it was first broadcast. This info is not available on Sky, or even in Radio Times. For me, this has been one of the most important things. If I see an episode of How It's Made, for example, I need only to know its year to decide whether to watch it. Without that, I have to start watching, to see if it's a repeat of an episode I have already watched.

I don't know how the alternative EPG will source its data. Does it have to be compiled from scratch, or does it access EPG data that is already available. Whichever it is, will the year be included?
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Programme Broadcast Date

Postby ByTheCringe » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am

From the lack of response, it seems that I am the only user that really wants what I have now learnt is called the Original Aired Date (OAD). It is now obvious that the AltEPG does not have this data. So be it, for me the TiVo with access to the AltEPG then just has one attraction left, wishlists. But could someone please tell me where, apart from the current EPG, which I now know comes from Tribune, is the OAD data available?
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby tivomas » Tue May 24, 2011 8:02 am

ByTheCringe wrote:From the lack of response, it seems that I am the only user that really wants what I have now learnt is called the Original Aired Date (OAD). It is now obvious that the AltEPG does not have this data. So be it, for me the TiVo with access to the AltEPG then just has one attraction left, wishlists. But could someone please tell me where, apart from the current EPG, which I now know comes from Tribune, is the OAD data available?

tv.com is usually a good source of that information, but not always correct - imdb can be relevant too, but the interface is not as good since they changed it. But both would be manual lookups
TiVo since Oct 2000
tivomas
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ByTheCringe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks tivomas. Can't see any dates in tv.com. The imdb site only has movies it seems.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby PieterM » Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am

I am with you on this - the originally aired date is very useful, especially in determining which series a program belongs to and in movies.
Sad to see it go...
PieterM
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Tcm2007 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Most episodes won't have a date, but could have a season number in the description, eg tonight Primeval should have "1/6, series 5"
Tcm2007
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby ByTheCringe » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

From other threads, I can see that that would be helpful, but unfortunately, I don't think it will solve my problem. On Sky, I sometimes get "New." in front of the title. Or I can skip to the end and check the copyright date. There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, but just not so easily as the Tribune way.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby wadsworth » Tue May 24, 2011 3:12 pm

I've noticed a few times that if the programme is being broadcast on a different channel, it will say 2011 when it is in fact 2009.
This happens with Ghosthunters and CBS Reality and SkyLivingit
wadsworth
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Tcm2007 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

That's often deliberate as people were finding FRO would not pick up "new" Simpsons on C4 because they had already been on Sky One. Whether you thought that was good or bad depended on your standpoint!
Tcm2007
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby martink0646 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:52 am

tivomas wrote:
ByTheCringe wrote:From the lack of response, it seems that I am the only user that really wants what I have now learnt is called the Original Aired Date (OAD). It is now obvious that the AltEPG does not have this data. So be it, for me the TiVo with access to the AltEPG then just has one attraction left, wishlists. But could someone please tell me where, apart from the current EPG, which I now know comes from Tribune, is the OAD data available?

tv.com is usually a good source of that information, but not always correct - imdb can be relevant too, but the interface is not as good since they changed it. But both would be manual lookups

The best site is tvdb.org. That has oad's & episode no.s

Martin
TiVo owner since Day 1
martink0646
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby ByTheCringe » Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks Martin, but I don't see how to get listings for all channels on that site.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby martink0646 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 am

ByTheCringe wrote:Thanks Martin, but I don't see how to get listings for all channels on that site.

Sorry, I didn't read/understand your post fully. TVDB.org doesn't have listings, it's a db maintained by users, mainly used for correct naming & scraping of archived tv.

Martin
TiVo owner since Day 1
martink0646
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby ByTheCringe » Thu May 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Appreciate you trying.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General