EPG Switch Off - Already Happening?

General Discussion

Re: EPG Switch Off - Already Happening?

Postby mutant_matt » Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 am

You know what, after 10 years of Tivo use, I also never noticed this! ;) However, my wife, who does most of the scheduling manually (I mostly rely on my many SPs and WLs for my stuff), when I asked her if she knew about this, the response was, "of course, durrrr!" ;) :D (that's me told :D )

The SP to WL module will be a godsend here! :) (my "important" stuff are mostly on WLs already anyway)
mutant_matt
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby roger@rcaph.co.uk » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

mutant_matt wrote:The SP to WL module will be a godsend here! :) (my "important" stuff are mostly on WLs already anyway)

Sorry, what is the "SP to WL module"?
roger@rcaph.co.uk
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Pete77 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm

roger@rcaph.co.uk wrote:Sorry, what is the "SP to WL module"?

Something that does not exist thus far so far as I know. However if it is created by say Mike as a hack (you would not be able to run it an unmodified Tivo without network access) it would take the names of any of your existing Season Passes and convert them in to a Title Wislist with the same settings re how many episode should be retained etc.

This hack would also need to be run before re-running Guided Setup to connect and update to the AltEPG as that process automatically wipes out all your current Season Passes since the TMSIDs on which they rely are not present in the AltEPG data feed.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mikerr » Mon May 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Heh, SP to wishlist does now exist as a tivoweb module - only written on Saturday though!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=469975
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 pm

mikerr wrote:Heh, SP to wishlist does now exist as a tivoweb module - only written on Saturday though!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=469975

Great work Mike. I for one will definitely be using this script on my main Tivo if and when the axe finally falls on the Tribune EPG for those of us collecting it via a network card rather than dial up.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby caketin » Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Sorry I am moaning already and its my first post

I have just noticed that the subscription status has changed from LIFETIME - EVALUATION.
UK TIVO MODEL 1 as standard no upgrades.
I just hope I can change this by opting for the Alternative EPG.
caketin
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby IBP » Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 pm

caketin wrote:Sorry I am moaning already and its my first post

I have just noticed that the subscription status has changed from LIFETIME - EVALUATION.
UK TIVO MODEL 1 as standard no upgrades.
I just hope I can change this by opting for the Alternative EPG.

Were you on a monthly sub? Mode 11 - Evaluation is used in the US for non-lifetime 'no charge' service, like promo units and competition winners.
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby caketin » Sun May 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I must have owned this tivo for about 10 years now and purchased the lifetime subscription at same time.
The box as only just changed its account status as it used to say LIFETIME but now EVALUATION.
The tivo as been a very good purchase unlike my sly HD BOX or even my Topup tv Pvr made by the same company.

But for 10 years service I cant complain.
Maybe someone will share the info on changing the account status once the UK Tivo service as been closed.
I just hope this is not Tivo`s way of making my box useless for the future for the alt epg project,as I was considering doing a few upgrades network/cache card and larger HDD etc...

caketin
caketin
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby poppadum » Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 pm

caketin wrote:Maybe someone will share the info on changing the account status once the UK Tivo service as been closed.
I just hope this is not Tivo`s way of making my box useless for the future

No need to worry. As soon as you register your tivo service number on altepg.com, point your tivo at our server and make a call (even a test call) you'll get a new account status.
poppadum
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby caketin » Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks for the info poppadum

I have just explained it to the wife to register the box with alt.epg project or she will be left with a box thats too big to be a paper weight - book end- door stop

Just had a live chat with a guy called Tyler at the tivo customer support he confirmed the EVALUATION message was in preperation for the switch off.
He said the reason for switch off of services was simple.... the people that supplied them with the program data schedules no longer sent them that information.
Someone else other than Tivo to blame? I wonder.

caketin
caketin
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby mrtickle » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 pm

caketin wrote:He said the reason for switch off of services was simple.... the people that supplied them with the program data schedules no longer sent them that information.
Someone else other than Tivo to blame? I wonder.
caketin

No need to wonder - he was lieing.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby lloyd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:35 am

mrtickle wrote:
This is a screenshot from my tivoweb module "guide data checker". I've been tweaking it for years and I note (with some irony) that there is a version of this in Tivoweb+ but whoever did it (without inviting me to contribute) removed all the graphics and made it a bit pants. :D

Are any tweaks required to make this module work with altEPG? I've just installed version 1.05, but it fails to return any data. No errors, just a list of channels and numbers.

Thanks

Lloyd
lloyd
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby wadsworth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

this may be a stupid question though, how can Virgin (spit) stop the epg when Sky own virgin media tv channels....so in theory are stopping their own user...or is this what they call politics :wink:
wadsworth
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby IBP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm

wadsworth wrote:this may be a stupid question though, how can Virgin (spit) stop the epg when Sky own virgin media tv channels....so in theory are stopping their own user...or is this what they call politics :wink:
Sounds like a stupid question to me.

1. There are no 'virgin media tv channels' now - they have all been rebranded to Sky channels
2. What has that got to do with the tivo service anyway?
3. The service is supplied by Tivo, none of the messages or press releases say its Virgin's decision to stop the service to s1 users.
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby IBP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

IBP wrote:
wadsworth wrote:this may be a stupid question though, how can Virgin (spit) stop the epg when Sky own virgin media tv channels....so in theory are stopping their own user...or is this what they call politics :wink:

Sounds like a stupid question to me. :D

1. There are no 'virgin media tv channels' now - they have all been rebranded to Sky channels after Virgin's decision to sell them.
2. What has that got to do with the tivo service anyway?
3. The service is supplied by Tivo, none of the messages or press releases say its Virgin's decision to stop the service to s1 users.
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

PreviousNext

Return to General