Wireless Networking my Tivo

General Discussion

Postby Ulysses » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:12 am

I understand i can now make my Tivo wireless. I have seen some specs on using an Airnet card. However when i looked into this, the suggestion on the Tivoland website was to use a Wireless Gaming Adaptor with a Turbo Net / Cache Card. First of all is this right and if so do i need SDRam for the card for it to work and what Gaming Adaptor to use (i already own the Linksys Wireless - G (WGA54G) Adaptor). Most important of all is there any instructions on how to set this up.

Thanks for any help regarding this project

Ulysses

:D
Ulysses
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:34 am

Hi,
We no longer stock the Airnet card.

The Airnet was simply an adapter that would allow you to insert a PCMCIA type wireless card. You still needed to get one of these cards and it had to be a specific chipset to work.

The speed of the Airnet was rather slow too so we decided with the introduction of the "Wireless Gaming Adapters" that the preferred option would be to install the Wired Cache/Network card which performs much better and convert it to wireless where neccessary!

The Cache card does not need the RAM installed if you simply want to use the networking facilities but should you experience a slowdown in the menus at a later date, you of-course then have the option to add the RAM.

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby pedro48 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:52 am

You say use a Wireless Gaming Adapter have you any suggestions my router is a Netgear WGR614
Pete
I can resist everything except temptation
pedro48
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:31 am

Most routers support various WiFi standards, the only difference being as they have improved the speeds. I would think all wireless bridges/gaming adapters would work as most wireless devices support the older speeds for backwards compatability.

I can't be specific because I have only used one myself in the past, an old US Robotics 802.11g wireless bridge adapter and that was with a Draytek router.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Return to General